Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Psycle as a tracker  (Read 811 times)

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Psycle as a tracker
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:25:31 pm »

Well, I have always(at least since last week) been interested in making music.

I have had a few programs for that on my computer for a while, rarely used, and then it was just being poked at with no real intention to make anything.

Today, I made 2.5 litres of tea, and put 2 of them into an old empty 2L bottle. About halfway down, I realized that it could be a decent instrument, and at the same time realized that I had a microphone on my headphones.

So, while the rest of my family watched a movie, I drank it down to be roughly in tune with some octave of C, and recorded countless noises produced by flicking it, during pauses in the movie. After cutting out a few clearer notes and slightly adjusting them(a proper fade over the last moment, to prevent needless popping sounds, removal of leading silence), I had four sound clips that weren't as great as I hoped they would be.

But then I played them up a few octaves, and got a nice popping sound.

Quite a while of minor chaotic rhythm experimentation, and I realized that for once, I could possibly make something.
But I needed something good for an actual tone, and blowing across the (now empty) bottle wasn't a clear or consistant sound. Then I found an old copper tube. Again, the sound wasn't perfect, but this time it was decent. Especially down an octave.

So, I have a nearly but not quite worthless little piece of musical junk, but a great potential ahead.

Also, psycle can do much more than just basic sample-based composition, but none of the advanced effects are saved when saved as a .xm, and I would prefer to use that in the future, if even for no other reason than it is smaller than .wav, and I don't have to bother taking the time to convert it to a better format such as an ogg or mp3, simply because it requires an external program.

Now, after all those meaningless words, here is some worthless sound. If you really wanted, you could use the samples, I don't mind if you do, especially since they are low quality compared to the ones you can get practically anywhere on the internet.
Eh?
Eh!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Psycle as a tracker
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 10:49:42 pm »

You should do one of those water-filled glass resonance concerts, but with tea and bottles. Do eeeeeet.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.