Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not attacking beast-men or saving each other from them.  (Read 658 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Dwarves not attacking beast-men or saving each other from them.
« on: January 17, 2010, 04:20:51 pm »

I've had some serious issues with beastmen, giant cave swallows and many other chasm-related creatures, but not normal animals of course, they're ok to murder apparently. Firstly, they love attacking the fortress, this is normal and expected for powerful wild animals so that could be ignored.
The biggest problem appears during the actual fight, soldiers and dwarves WILL NOT attack these creatures, even with squads ordered to 'harass dangerous wild animals' and neither will they assist someone being attacked, or recognize they're being attacked until AFTER it's struck them. The damned giant cave swallows will just fly around killing people off one by one until they finally, and this could take 10-12 deaths, become exhausted enough for their most recent (still conscious) victim to finish them off.

My one lucky break was an incident in the chasm where the giant cave swallow killed 3 people and the 4th fell into the chasm, which it followed down to the last z-level, whereupon the dwarf died and it's just hovering there, completely unscathed. I just hope it's content to remain there forever. Never mind, IT'S BACK! Now with a score of 8:1  :'(

As one could imagine, this is an extremely precarious situation for anyone to be in. Is there any way to fix this myself or will I have to wait for toady to do something?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Dwarves not attacking beast-men or saving each other from them.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 04:27:43 pm »

I suspect it's related to this bug:

000425 □ [dwarf mode][combat]   dwarves refuse to target unconscious creatures, possibly related to Bug424
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 04:35:46 pm »

Actually it sounds more like the dwarves not recognizing enemies until attacked. Once they are attacked they should fight back in self-defense, but the best you can do is station your military near the creatures and hope that they get poked at.

I'm pretty certain this is a reported bug, though I don't know if anything has been done about it.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 10:32:12 pm »

Thanks, I've tried using soldiers to provoke them, but soldiers still have to get close enough for them to decide to attack not just flee, which is difficult for those that can fly. And, a soldier's squad mates won't necessarily assist them. I can't devote many dwarves to that if they won't participate until they're being killed. Bunch of emo masochists. If only I had some godly, utility-given power to encase them in ice...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:42:16 pm »

Are the squads set to
Ignore wild animals?

Those dam fools.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:55:32 pm »

Did you read the initial post, eerr?
The biggest problem appears during the actual fight, soldiers and dwarves WILL NOT attack these creatures, even with squads ordered to 'harass dangerous wild animals'
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels