Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Largest family  (Read 669 times)

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Largest family
« on: November 09, 2009, 07:27:21 pm »

What is the largest family that any of your dwarves has had? While taking some time to get to know my military I noticed that one of my Champions is in a family of nine: a husband and eight children (she has given birth to all except for the eldest peasant daughter who came with her on the migration). Can't wait the impending tantrum spiral disaster that will come from that family.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Largest family
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:46:07 pm »

8 children?!
Holy Carp! did she go for a dip in the *unknown substance*?  :o
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:00:00 pm »

It seems the women in my military are far more fertile than any other she-dwarf in the fortress, because I have another champion with five children.

EDIT: She just gave birth to her sixth.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 08:01:47 pm by SmokedRWA »

Kyrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 08:24:32 pm »

One of my dwarves who entered the Bookkeeping Stat Training Program has seven children, one came with her(and her husband, ) to the fort, the rest were born here. When the oldest grew up, she was almost immediately elected mayor thanks to the previous mayor dying a bloody death fighting some goblins shortly after she grew into an adult dwarf. Now the former bookkeeper has recently been elected mayor(perhaps she has so many children with so many connections now that she has half the fort guaranteed to vote for her?), but I doubt that'll stop her from pumping out a baby a year.

At least she's just a mayor/crap hauler and her husband's a legendary weaver(thanks to an artifact loincloth), so there shouldn't be any tantrum spirals unless I start killing family members on purpose...then again, one of her babies died when it fell down a channel she was digging(the joys of discovering that the convenient underground water source I had was actually an aquifer from a biome that only covered a small part of of my fort, and that digging beneath it was actually a Very Bad Idea...and that claystone can contain aquifers, despite the wiki not listing it as such) and the parents were still ecstatic, so maybe there are so many kids now that they just don't care. Or perhaps they were happy at discovering the only dwarven method of birth control?

lordofhyphens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:25:55 pm »

I am currently relying on modded dwarves for population (it's been at least 10 years w/o migrants or caravans of any kind). The only two dwarves that paired off are now a family of 22, husband, wife, and all 20 kids.

I can't wait to see what the engraver starts putting on the walls.
"Extinction is not an option."

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 08:25:59 pm »

I remember the guy who made Flarechannels had families that were well into their third and fourth generations.

I don't recall anyone else running a hundred-year fort recently, so he probably has the biggest ones.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 10:03:22 pm »

Here is somebody with 11 children, my fortress is only in its 14th year too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 10:08:27 pm »

I remember the guy who made Flarechannels had families that were well into their third and fourth generations.

I don't recall anyone else running a hundred-year fort recently, so he probably has the biggest ones.

Yeah, yeah, I remember that. Every dwarf had maternal and paternal grandparents, and half a dozen aunts and uncles, in addition to the immediate family relationships.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 01:01:02 am »

If I recall correctly, 18 or so children to one couple. I posted a thread of it a couple months ago.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread: