Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heat / Cold damage  (Read 730 times)

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Heat / Cold damage
« on: November 07, 2009, 10:03:17 pm »

I recently made a race of (for lack of a better word) frost-dwarves, that were effectively immune to all cold.
Assuming that the 'cold' damage type deals damage via lowering the temperature of the part it hits, if I were to mod in some weapons that did cold damage they would therefore do no damage at all to the dwarves, but would still be able to kill enemies in an interesting manner.

In short, they would be the ultimate training weapon. No sparring injuries, but still lethal to invaders.

However, all this hinges on how heat / cold damage tags work.
Do they make something temporarily a certain temperature, ie 0?

Also because I'm curious.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Heat / Cold damage
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 10:24:10 pm »

Hmm. If the weapons were a very low temperature it might work. I think there was one about heating, but I believe cold does damage to everything as well, so if you want these weapons you'll have to put up with everything around your military dwarves spontaneously breaking down.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 10:27:01 pm »

As far as I know, heat/cold damage has nothing to do with temperature at this time.
If you take a creature with a high body temperature (for example, a Magma Man) and take away its [FIREIMMUNE] tag it'll burn itself to death - I'm fairly sure the tag covers [HEAT]-based damage as well, but no equivalent [COLDIMMUNE] (or whatever) tag currently exists.

Don't take any of this as given, I might be completely wrong.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 10:30:01 pm »

Yes, the heat/burn/cold damage only changes the flavor text while in fact it just damages the bodypart without any temperature change.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 10:30:35 pm »

The burn tag just does a simulation of the damage heat does to creatures, minus the actual ignition.  Same deal with cold tag, only minus the freezing.

Heat causes pain and is inherently pretty powerful.  Haven't had too much experience with cold damage though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 10:35:59 pm »

I don't remember cold to make a lot of pain, but it still damages internal parts as good as heat.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:37:29 pm »

wait...so heat / cold damage affects areas? Or am I reading that incorrectly...

so I could do the opposite with weapons that do heat damage? make dwarves [FIREIMMUNE] and give them [HEAT] training weapons? but you're saying cold wouldn't work as there is no relevant tag for it at this present moment in time.

Sorry if I'm using unnecessary additional rhetoric, I'm tired and had to write several essays on history, english and music today. After a while, adding in long complicated-sounding words becomes second nature. In retrospect, I thought I used more than I did. I must lrn2readwhatIhavealreadywrittenb4continuing.

Back on topic, I thought [BURN] tag was for acid-type attacks, in that it causes extreme pain on critical (for creature attacks) in the same way [HEAT] causes ignition.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:41:41 pm »

[FIREIMMUNE] relates to firebreath or fire ball attacks (from the [FIREBREATH] tags) and make them think they are magma proof (it doesn't actually make them magma proof).  Homeotherm relates to actual temperature resistance.

Only [DAMBLOCK] can protect against the damage type tags.  Those don't actually change temperature.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 10:45:38 pm »

Back on topic, I thought [BURN] tag was for acid-type attacks, in that it causes extreme pain on critical (for creature attacks) in the same way [HEAT] causes ignition.

Details on attack types were up on the wiki at one point, I'm looking for them now...

Edit: Found it, at long last. Mind you, that list doesn't have any of the details as to what the attacks actually do per se, but it does tell you about the descriptions. When it comes to criticals, we've got this, but nothing on BURN/HEAT/COLD.

So we've established at least that HEAT and COLD do some internal damage, HEAT may cause ignition, BURN may cause extreme pain, and COLD... no, still nothing on that. It doesn't freeze things solid, at least, so it's not quite as dramatic as it could be.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:00:36 pm by 3 »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 11:01:12 pm »

[COLD] simulates extreme cold, [HEAT] simulates extreme heat, and [BURN] is extremely painful (think like a serious sunburn or what you get from touching hot metal.) [HEAT] and [COLD] only simulate temperature change, they do not actually cause ignition. Due to this they are basically only attack text changes, with the exception that due to their way of damage they can often score instakills and critical hits with more ease.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 11:08:31 pm »

Found it, at long last. Mind you, that list doesn't have any of the details as to what the attacks actually do per se, but it does tell you about the descriptions. When it comes to criticals, we've got this, but nothing on BURN/HEAT/COLD.

I may now have to mod in cold-damage hammers regardless of how the tags work, simply so every now and then I can get the combat report
"The Steel IceHammer strikes PoorSap McGoblin in the Upper Body"
"It is Shattered"
Just for the sheer awesomeness of being able to shatter my foes every now and then.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 12:00:25 pm »

No, it was told three times or more, but the people still don't see it.

HEAT/BURN/COLD damage DOES NOT change the temperature and it DOES NOT cause ignition.

P.S. Burn may be as good as acid as it's a burning damage, it just describes a kind of damage when your skin burns and the effect starts to damage muscles/internal parts.

P.S. On a killing critical they incinerate/?/shatter bodyparts (text only). I don't remember what burn does here.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:03:12 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 12:13:49 pm »

BURN and HEAT seem to be identical once you get past moderate wounds.
Just so I remember