Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Creating stairs from nothing  (Read 922 times)

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d16] Creating stairs from nothing
« on: December 13, 2009, 12:34:46 am »

While trying to reveal the magma pipe that I knew was there, I designated up/down staircases to get to it. It worked, but when I looked at the pipe, I saw some stairs hanging down at the top of the pipe, with nothing there that it could have been carved from. I'm sorry if this has already been reported, I searched and couldn't find it. I can't upload a save because I edited the raws for my own use and can't remember what I changed.

EDIT: It works, because an imp just climbed up and set my fortress on fire
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:51:54 am by Sixteen »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Creating stairs from nothing
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:38:31 am »

Uploading the save probably wouldn't help in this case anyway.  Anyone else seen this or able to reproduce it by designating up/down stairs down into an unrevealed magma pipe?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:41:49 am by Footkerchief »

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 01:46:38 am »

I think I know what happened. I constructed an up/down staircase on top of an intact floor and designated for a staircase under it. Somehow, I still managed to dig out the staircase.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:56:10 pm »

I had something similar happen once.  I dug up into the air pocket with a down-stair designation.  It produced an obsidian stone even though there had only been a floor there.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember