Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Editing goblins  (Read 1096 times)

Xether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Editing goblins
« on: November 09, 2009, 07:43:09 am »

I want to edit regular goblins (including siegers) and insert a new creature to 'siege'

Exactly what would i need to edit/do to achieve this?

Edit the creature file of goblin
Edit entity of goblin
do i keep the name 'goblin' (i assume so due to them being the siegers)

Thanks!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Editing goblins
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 07:59:08 am »

Sieges are not specific to goblins, if that's your thinking.
The way the game handles civs sieging the player is based on the respective civ entity entry (and to some small extent, the creature entry itself). This means that you won't be able to "add" a new creature to goblin sieges (unless it's just a mount) - you will, however, be able to make a new civ that will siege the player seperately to the goblins.

Editing goblins:
To edit the goblins themselves, open creature_standard.txt, find the GOBLIN entry, and change what you will. To edit the way goblins behave (when and under what circumstances they siege, what jobs and items they use, etc) edit the EVIL entry in entity_standard.txt

To create a new sieger you'll want to copy one of the civver creatures from creature_standard.txt (presumably goblins), give it a new ID, edit as you wish, and then make a new entity the same way. Remember to replace the CREATURE tag in the entity entry with the new creature, otherwise your new entity will be made up of goblins.

If you need any help in how to actually edit any of the entries, just ask.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:13:26 am »

Everything you need to make an entity to siege is to add [BABYSNATCHER] to them in entity file (i.e. to elves in entity_default.txt). Also goblins should bring beak dogs as mounts so if you want a new mount copy the beak dog entry and change it to a new creature; and they should bring trolls (but I haven't seen this in 3d) so copy a troll entry and make another creature from it.

If you want a race to siege you right away, replace [INTELLIGENT] in the creature file with [CAN_CIV][CAN_LEARN]. This way without [CAN_SPEAK] they will war EVERYONE, so fiddle with population number to avoid them being obliterated by other races during the worldgen.

P.S. "3" is an epic forum name :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 10:27:38 am »

I'm really not sure about trolls. I've never seen them either, supposedly for the reason that they only show up if they share a biome with the goblin civ (for both beak dogs and trolls you'd need a goblin fort on a cliff, overlapping onto a marsh), and I've heard speak that they're hardcoded, because they don't show any tags that suggest that they specifically should be brought along... but if that's the case, then why would the vast majority of the rest of the game use tokens parsed from text files? Weird.

Also, yeah, I'm always unsure as to whether forums will let me choose something this short. Don't get me started on limits on using a number as an initial character.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 10:55:20 am »

and I've heard speak that they're hardcoded, because they don't show any tags that suggest that they specifically should be brought along...
[EVIL] on trolls, [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] in goblin entity.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 10:59:11 am »

Is it really that simple?
Bloody hell, I've missed something significant there then.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 12:39:54 pm »

Thanks for the info! (I accidently posted on friends account - Xether)

I think i have everything i need, ill post what i was trying to do when its complete (and tested!)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:45:24 pm »

and I've heard speak that they're hardcoded, because they don't show any tags that suggest that they specifically should be brought along...
[EVIL] on trolls, [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] in goblin entity.

I don't think that just the [EVIL] tag makes civs with [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] bring those creatures to sieges, because if it did then goblins would be bringing Foul Blendecs, Werewolves, etc. I believe this is why people suspect that trolls are hardcoded.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 01:50:46 pm »

Original entry

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Creature entry

Entity entry

Im missing something out (probably in the entity file), theres NONE of my creatures on the world, i think thwe entity one is screwing it somehow.

If anyone can help, i would appreciate  it  ;D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 01:56:47 pm »

[FISHITEM] should probably be removed from the creature entry, perhaps [UNDERSWIM] as well.

If you've copied the goblin entity and made a new one based on that, then your entity will need a new ID (ie, not "EVIL").

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:TREE_CITY] doesn't work, because you can't have tree-cities in mountains. With START_BIOME set to MOUNTAIN, the DEFAULT_SITE token needs to be set to either CAVE_DETAILED or DARK_FORTRESS.

Having said that, you've got two [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:] tokens in there - the default one and the one you've added.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 02:03:30 pm »

ah right, ill do as you say and see if works :D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 03:13:21 pm »

needs to be set to either CAVE_DETAILED or DARK_FORTRESS.
Or city, it's fun because cities uncover huge areas of underground and often breach bottomless pits and underground rivers.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 05:32:05 pm »

I want to thank you all, i shall revise the carpman and post the final stats here for anyone who wants to use it :D

Dwarf strays too near the river......

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 07:47:57 pm »

and ends up getting dragged in
How?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬