Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d11] Merchant pack animals crawl away from the depot, preventing trade  (Read 1517 times)

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I seem to have a problem with the pack animals (both those pulling wagons and those bearing goods themselves) crawling away from the trade depot once they have arrived.  Once this occurs, using 'q' to look at the depot tells me that "there are no merchants trading right now."  I have never encountered this (presumed) bug before, so I'm stumped.  Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: [40d11] Merchant pack animals crawl away from the depot, preventing trade
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:32:38 am »

The merchant pulling the animal got killed. This is, in fact, why it says there are no merchants trading - if a single merchant dies (including pack animals and wagons, but not including caravan guards), then the entire caravan will immediately turn around and leave.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 06:00:50 pm »

But that's just the thing - not only are all the merchants that entered the screen still there, but neither the merchants nor the guards are turning around and going somewhere else; it's just the pack animals.

EDIT: Actually, some of the merchants are crawling away from the depot as well, but there are still no dead merchants or pack animals.  In addition, I feel that I should note that they are gathering at the edge of the map, but none of them are leaving.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 06:31:13 pm by Zancor Mezoran »
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 07:00:21 pm »

Got the same issue now too.

One of the human merchants got attacked, or well, scratched by a thief who happened to spawn close.

Some of the wagons had already arrived on the depot.

When the merchant was attacked, he fled and left. The rest of the entire caravan all went weird, the merchants with the animals both crawled painfully slow away from the depot and towards the edge of the map, without leaving properly.

It has been a year since then and now my second caravan has arrived, depot still says "There are no merchants trading right now."

So my depot is deadlocked and there are 10 wagons piled on eachother in the depot, great.

Going to attempt to dissmantle the depot and build a new one.