Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Queen won't come inside  (Read 615 times)

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
[40d] Queen won't come inside
« on: November 01, 2009, 09:00:42 am »

Okay, my queen just arrived after I found adamantine. She is sitting at the edge of the map (I managed to dig a channel under her to put her in a tunnel to my fort, so a siege wouldn't kill her off). Her symbol is an "@" instead of the normal dwarf sign, but I've never had a queen before so I don't know if this is normal. She shows up as 'Friendly' on the units list, but not as one of my dwarves. I used DF Companion to check that she was indeed a dwarf, and found nothing wrong with her. The only difference I found with DF Companion to a standard person in my fort is that she had the "No Eat" box checked. Her name is dwarven, she's wearing silk and pig tail like any normal dwarf, but she simply ISN'T MINE.

I'm desperately hoping this isn't normal, because I spent ages making her a home. I also hope this is fixable...
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Queen won't come inside
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:43:35 am »

Sounds like you have a non-dwarven ruler (Queen). This usually happens when your civilization is conquered/taken over by a powerful being (Megabeast, Demon, semi-megabeast, etc) or another race (elf, human, goblin, kobold, etc).

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/King

This is a known issue.

Unless you are running a mod with new creatures @ would appear to maybe be a wizard...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 01:58:00 pm »

Given that she is apparently in fact a dwarf, might there have been a dwarven civil war in the past causing one dwarven civ to get taken over by another? Possibly indirectly, e.g. goblins take over dwarves A, then dwarves B take over goblins, causing them to also take over dwarves A.

Check the history to see how the civilization wars worked out.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:27:32 pm »

Sounds identical to these:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=42574.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25028.0

Toady had this to say in the latter:

It seems like the civ ids aren't matching up, as far as the friendly text appearing.  This quick-lookup id is becoming more and more stale, and I guess it's just hit some growing pains vs. the new world gen stuff.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 04:42:56 am »

I checked her Civ on Companion, it's the exact same. As I said, the only thing that was different from one of my normal dwarves was that she had a box ticked relating to not eating.

She is indeed a dwarf, and the only mods I have make antmen and lizardmen a race. This wouldn't affect it too heavily, right?
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:37:59 am »

The "can't eat" flag in Dwarf Companion apparently means "Current Resident" (according to this list), which should only be set on named creatures inhabiting a Cave when you embark.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 11:26:49 am »

The "can't eat" flag in Dwarf Companion apparently means "Current Resident" (according to this list), which should only be set on named creatures inhabiting a Cave when you embark.
Thanks, I'll try unchecking it.