Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Commanding armies on the map  (Read 571 times)

DarkSim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Commanding armies on the map
« on: November 01, 2009, 03:19:11 pm »

as we all know the next update is going to be possibly the biggest overhaul of df since going 3d. The next biggest thing (if i read the dev notes right) will be for us to be able to command armies on the map and attack other sites.

The question I want to ask is: can anyone who is familiar with the dev notes tell me how much of the preliminaries for that will be done with this next update?

kthx.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Commanding armies on the map
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:56:53 pm »

Little or none of that is in the upcoming update, sorry. And the next one isn't that either; it's about the sieges you experience. Sending out your own armies comes later.

DarkSim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 04:08:34 pm »

I know none of that is coming in the next one, my question was how much of the preliminary work required to implement armies on a 'campaign map' will be done with the next update.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 04:29:07 pm »

DarkSim, you might be interested in the DevNext page. The first item are the armies, and you can see what is a preliminary of what.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 03:12:15 am »

The best place to find details on those preliminaries is the List of Remaining Items, specifically the Squads and Entity Positions sections.  There are a lot of issues with military positions, structure, equipment, duties, etc. that Toady wanted to handle before armies start getting used in new ways.