Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Game randomly freezes Windows on startup  (Read 511 times)

Kyrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d] Game randomly freezes Windows on startup
« on: October 28, 2009, 04:56:09 pm »

Dwarf Fortress will sometimes freeze my computer when I start it up, requiring a restart to get my computer working again. The lock-up is immediately after I start DF, and it only does this if I've started it up more than once per "session"(or whatever you call the time between proper shutdowns and restarts; I tend to have my computer hibernate instead of shut down completely because it makes it a thousand times faster to start up again).

I've seen a blue screen error message once or twice, but I haven't seen any recently enough to remember them and post them here(although I will write down the blue screen message if I get one from DF in the future). There's nothing in Dwarf Fortress' error log, presumably because the computer locks up before it can record anything there.

I don't use any mods(other than the few things included with the Mayday graphics pack, but I seriously doubt that would cause DF to freeze my PC at random), & I'm running Windows XP on a laptop. Again, this never happens the first time I start up Dwarf Fortress after a proper startup, only after that.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Game randomly freezes Windows on startup
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:40:37 pm »

The only likely culprit that comes to mind is your graphics drivers.  Are they up-to-date?

Kyrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Game randomly freezes Windows on startup
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:07:10 pm »

I got a STOP: 0x0000008E just now, and it looks like that involves my graphics driver, so yeah, it's probably my drivers. Time to update them!