Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with fortress  (Read 1144 times)

Help with fortress
« on: March 07, 2010, 11:48:01 am »

I was wondering if someone would be so kind and give/create me a save file for Dwarf Fortress with a good area to make a fortress. I'm really, really, bad at picking an area to live in.
It would've been great if that area contained flux stone, some magma, and maybe some elves...
Thank you very much if you can find it in your heart to help me

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with fortress
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:32:32 pm »

Use the built in site finder after you generate a world to find what you need.
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:31:12 am »

Use the built in site finder after you generate a world to find what you need.
Yeah, well, I've tried. But I can't seem to find a location that suites me. It's either no mountain to dig in, or to much mountain, or to much water, to little water etc.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:50:49 am »

I find a brook(rivers tend to have carp/gar/lampreys) + forest/desert combo suits me well. pay attention to the embark screen, you'll notice the biomes your embarking on there. if your worried about the amount of mountain, find a peice that has notably less or move your embark in local using umkh to move around. UMKH will increase/decrease the size of your map to a max of 16x16 or min of 2x2(without a program to get a 1x1)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 12:35:25 pm »

I got a parameter set that makes finding magma with flux a lot easier. Each should have at least a few nice sites with flux, magma and maybe some other stuff. I recommend sand and water. No need to use the sitefinder, just find a magma pipe and use the F keys to see what rocks you get. Search around mountain edges if you want other features like chasms and underground rivers. The lower mountains usualy make better sites due to fps issues.

Just make sure your elves dont all die during worldgen, mine do that sometimes.

I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!