Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OKAY, need some advice for a Megaprojectish plan  (Read 996 times)

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
OKAY, need some advice for a Megaprojectish plan
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:19:46 am »

I'm trying to find a way move a platform mechanically around the map. be it by way of water, bridges, traps? I dont know. Needing help.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: OKAY, need some advice for a Megaprojectish plan
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 12:26:29 am »

Is that even... possible...?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:27:59 am »

Is that even... possible...?

With enough dwarves, pumps, and magma......anything is possible
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:35:53 am »

Unfortunately, its impossible. Given time and a few versions down the road (long, long, road) we might be able to do this. Not yet though.

Edit: Shortening words is good fun.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:42:30 am by Manifold1 »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:36:52 am »

The only thing that comes to mind is some really complicated system that creates obsidian platforms in one area and drops/destroys the other at the same time, then does the opposite when you pull the switch the other way. But I don't know exactly how to implement something like that... although if it's possible, I imagine someone out there could. If the actually act of moving is key to the function of the platform, you're out of luck, though. Could you give more details on what you want it to do / where you would put it?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 01:15:27 am »

Manufactured obsidian always takes the form of walls, and walls cannot be destroyed except by mining. So regardless of how you go about "moving" the platform forward, you'll need miners along to chop off the bits behind you.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 01:21:16 am »

Truth be told it'd probably be fairly easy to move a very large platform.

downward

for a very short period of time
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 05:31:03 am »

You could get (roughly) this effect by creating a series of 'static' platforms seperated by bridges and using a large quantity of pressure plates to make the platform 'move' by moving bridges into or out of position depending on where the player stands...

Or if you're more patient, use lots of levers to the same effect.

If you're really, REALLY patient and you're willing to learn a lot about how water physics work, you might be able to create an automatic platform made entirely out of bridges by using water flow over a set of pressure plates set only to trigger at a certain water depth, and carefully using the water quantity to manage this.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

DorfDorfingdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 06:17:58 am »

You could emulate this with retracting bridges all anchored on walls and attached to your pressure plates or whatever. Bonus points if you realize it's only properly Dwarven with glass, gold, or bismuth material.
<quote>... the first migration gets conscripted to the "Quarry Security Force" which will be known as QuiSF because I like the name AND I MAKE THE RULES AROUND HERE!</quote>