Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves cancel harvest jobs?  (Read 629 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves cancel harvest jobs?
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:24:50 pm »

As stated in the title, my dwarves are refusing to actually harvest plants. "All dwarves harvest" is on, and the jobs queue up, and the dwarves wander over to the plants to be harvested, at which point they apparently decide my life is too easy and just forget, dropping the job without ever touching the plant and leaving it to rot. Is this a bug, or do I have some setting preventing them from placing them in the huge plant-only stockpiles mere tiles away?

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: My dwarves cancel harvest jobs?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:42:48 pm »

We'll assume these are underground crops, and so the "All dwarves stay inside" order is not a factor.

Have you forbidden the plants, perhaps in the z-stocks/plants menu?  (When trying to prevent small stacks from being brewed, I'm often guilty of that.)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:53:13 pm »

no; they use them for other tasks. If I tell them to brew something, for instance, they will happily grab a Plump Helmet off the fields and brew it, but otherwise it'll sit there until it rots, even when I have available stockpiles.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 02:58:17 pm »

Could it be something wrong with your stockpile? You mentioned its 'plants only' - try changing it to a normal food stockpile, and tell if the problem persists.
When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 03:01:19 pm »

A "plant only" should?) be the same as a generic "food" stockpile for these purposes, but it can't hurt to re-designate it and make sure.

(Is it "all plants", in the settings?)

And I could be wrong, but I don't think dwarves pull un-harvested plants off of plots for use - they harvest (and stockpile), then use. (verify?)

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 03:10:44 pm »

Going along the stockpile line of thinking, it could be that they ARE harvesting it, but they can't stockpile it so they leave it on the field- it can now be used in other tasks, but it still looks like it's on the plot. Can't confirm albedo, but I'd think the same as you.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 03:36:58 pm »

Auldrin's probably right here: "harvesting" a plant consists of two sub-jobs: picking the plant from the field, and taking it to a stockpile. If there's no valid stockpile available, the dwarves will just leave the plant on the fields.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 04:39:18 pm »

Setting your Standing (o)rders to ignore food will result in the same behavior.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 07:07:34 pm »

Thanks all; as it happened, Quietust was right. They were harvesting them, leaving them there, and planting more under them because I had inadvertently disabled orders.