Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stripping prisoners of their weapons?  (Read 4681 times)

archie200034

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Stripping prisoners of their weapons?
« on: October 30, 2009, 03:36:06 pm »

I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for a while now and i recently started a new fortress. When i embarked i got the message that there was a cave there, i explored it and realized that there was a giant living there together with some troglodytes! I consulted with a friend and we both agreed that this giant could be the end of all the goblin prisoners wich I would eventually get. The idea is to make a pit, 1 or 2 z-levels deep and make a retractable bridge over the pit then place the giants cage there and connect the cage to a lever. Then retract the bridge and set the giant free. Then i'd just throw down all the goblins I want to the giant. But there's just one problem, how would i get the goblins armour and weapons? I read on the wiki that you could strip your goblins of their weapons, but it didn't say how.

Help me bay12forums, you're my only hope.

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stripping prisoners of their weapons?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 03:39:56 pm »

Make a garbage zone (i - designate - g) then veiw find the goblins' weapons (either by looking at them or by the stocks screen) and mark it for dumping (d) and a dwarf will take the weapon and drop it in the zone.

archie200034

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 03:41:01 pm »

Make a garbage zone (i - designate - g) then veiw find the goblins' weapons (either by looking at them or by the stocks screen) and mark it for dumping (d) and a dwarf will take the weapon and drop it in the zone.

Thank you, kind sir

Edit: wait, i'm trying to view the mountain gnomes (the only captured things so far) but it doesn't work. I've tried both "k" and "v" but nothing happens when i press enter!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 03:57:42 pm by archie200034 »

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 03:42:53 pm »

a much faster way is to press d-b-d and designate the entire area with the goblin cages in for dumping, then just go through and cancel the dump on the cages

it'll do the same as what auldrin said, but it's much faster :P
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

archie200034

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:57:41 pm »

Could it be that the mountain gnomes have nothing on them and i can therefore not view what they have?

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 06:47:20 pm »

Quite possible. I've not really checked, but it wouldn't suprise me to find mountain gnomes don't have clothes, since they aren't part of a civ.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 06:47:58 pm »

It could, but it isn't (so why are you guessing?)  :P  Whether or not gnomes have gear, you can't see it in a cage.

It's a flaw (or evil design) in the game.  d, b, d.   

If you aren't sure it's all been dumped, go into z-stocks/weapons and see if a weapon is waiting to be Dumped.  (Sim w/ clothing if you don't want to waste the haulers' time.)  You don't care about turning them loose with anything else, only the weapons.  (If they're going up against well-armoured dwarves, in layerd steel chain/plate, you don't care about daggers either 99.9% of the time.  But, gotta admit, that .1% is a bitch. )  8)

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2009, 06:54:08 pm »

I don't have any caged prisoners on this fort so I can't confirm my stupidity (Damn trap immune orcs, damn rambo-like champions), but I thought it was possible to see their gear inside a cage. My mistake, I guess!

Edit: By "I thought" I mean I thought I had done it on a previous fortress, but I just remembered I was sending in trained and armed dwarves, so I let them keep their weapons.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 06:56:30 pm by Auldrin »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 09:09:58 am »

Is there a way to clothe your naked prisoners in prison uniforms. I suddenly want Zebras in the game for this....

(Same question for Dwarves in jails can you control what they wear).
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 01:14:16 pm »

No, and very difficult.

You'd have to strip your dwarfs first (via dumping) and then lock them in a room w/ the desired clothing, and, perhaps by alternating armor levels and de/Activating repeatedly, convince them to get dressed - very difficult, and a high level of randomness involved.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2009, 02:40:44 pm »

I can make clothes out of dozens of materials but can't get my dwarves to wear any of them. *sigh*

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2009, 07:40:26 pm »

Currently dwarves seem to randomly wear clothing except in cold biomes, where they always try to make sure they're wearing clothing (side note - if you don't produce enough clothing for them, they will take internal damage - some of which will not heal).

It may have something to do with the economy as well, I noticed my dwarves all running around in worn out clothing until the economy activated, then suddenly half of them were running around in the masterwork leather shoes, cloaks, and other clothing I was producing for trade goods. They may refuse to "acquire" clothing, but they'll purchase it, even more likely if it's made of a material they like. My tax collector on my last fort loved wolf leather and appropriated half of the goblin clothing in my fort as well as a few pieces of armor and a cloak made from imported wolf leather.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 06:31:17 am »

How do you get the Hammerer's hammer?

The inventory screen under the "v" menu doesn't show a "D" when I tell him to dump it.

Please don't quote me.