Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to breach magma chamber without losing dwarfs?  (Read 1941 times)

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to breach magma chamber without losing dwarfs?
« on: October 31, 2009, 05:06:48 pm »

I'm planning to erect an underground channel to a pool nearer to my fort for forging. Since this channel is underground as soon as I breach the chamber whoever is in there is dead.

This is probably futile though since according to the wiki magma won't rise to the level of the magma pipe somewhere else because it has no pressure. Any other ideas to ship magma in?

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to breach magma chamber without losing dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 05:10:24 pm »

dig the tunnel up to the warm stone around the magma, channel it out from above

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:12:34 pm »

Yeah, in DF a "channel" is not the same as an aqueduct (magmaduct?) , a tunnel that will carry the liquid - it's a hole dug down from above, using the channel designation for your miners (d, h).

So, you find a spot where that level of magma is wider than above, and dig the tunnel up to the edge of the magma.  Then, dig down from above, channeling out that last tile, and letting the magma flow.

All this is in the wiki: "magma". 

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 05:46:45 pm »

I've accidentally breached the magma pipe/chamber twice on different maps with an upwards ramp under the wall of the magma chamber, because I didn't realize that the wall above the ramp would become loose stone (since, you know, if you dig a ramp from the top you have to mine that out first... just figured it out the second time)  In both cases, my miner was able to run away before the magma could touch him, though, also in both cases, legendary miner...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 06:00:21 pm »

You don't have to mine the top level out first when digging a ramp from above. This works fine:
Code: [Select]
#####
...##  Top level
...##  #: wall
...##  .: floor
#####

#####
###^.  Bottom level
###^.  ^: Ramp designation
###^.  .: Dig designation
#####
Your dwarves will dig out the ramps, turning the walls on the upper level into down ramps.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 07:58:53 pm »

If you're prone to using the old taskmanager trick, you could just wait until your miner is at the highest level of agility and reload the savegame if he dies. He will eventually manage to escape the magma before it burns him to death.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 09:34:25 pm »

if you don't need alot of magma, just use a fortification.
slows the magma way down.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 02:17:11 am »

Use immigrant labour. A new migrant won't have any friends and the magma will take care of the cleanup.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 02:32:41 am »

<shakes head in disappointment>

Yeah, either do it so no one dies, or just march migrants into a magma vent until it overflows...  ::)

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 05:06:01 am »

Its easy, Read the nooby tutorial in the sticky on this forum.

Follow his instructions on how to channel down from above.
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 05:35:18 am »

Find a level where the magma pipe shrinks in over the previous, then channel downward into the overhang so that a tile of magma below is exposed. It cannot flood up the hole, as magma uses slightly different rules to water. Then place a magmaproof pump to take advantage of the hole, which will also greatly speed up the flow. You may need to worry about fire elemental creatures though.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"