Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: runaway camera  (Read 988 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
runaway camera
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:19:59 am »

I'm running 40d with only a few modifications in the raws.

well I hit shift+3 hoping it would move 10 to the SE... but the camera stopped moving for a bit and then started moving SE by itself and wouldn't stop for a long time... I even saved and reloaded but the camera was still stuck in the bottom right.

after about 2 minutes it stopped, and I could control it freely again.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: runaway camera
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 12:50:33 pm »

Any way of reliably getting it to happen again?  If not then it probably won't be fixed.  The input system got rewritten for 40d16 anyway.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:52:56 pm »

It sounds more like you had numlock on. I remember that screwing with those controls a lot.

Alternatively, I'd say you have severe input lag for some reason, but probably not THAT severe.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:11:35 pm »

If not numlock, then the game or your keyboard input may have glitched and believes some key is being held down permanently. I've had it happen occasionally in other programs when pressing many keys at a time. Usually pressing the directional key in which it is moving causes the program to recheck input for that key and stop.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 05:22:11 pm »

This sounds dumb, but ...check your keyboard. I've had a bit of crud stick my key down when I press it. :X

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:36:49 pm »

This has happened to me a couple of times, it's very hard to get it to repeat; If I could take a guess, it's probably from pressing to many arrow keys in different directions at one time, causing the program to 'get confused' and glitch just sticking to a certain direction. That's probably not the case, but it's just a hypothesis.
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 07:12:12 pm »

I've had it happen from hitting the function key (I'm using a laptop) by accident instead of ctrl, which causes the program to get confused. A program restart fixes this.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 07:20:06 pm »

I have the same thing on a laptop, but I've found just switching display modes between fullscreen and windowed fixes it. And usually, just pressing and releasing the stuck key while holding the function key down unsticks the key.

It seems to happen to me if I release the function key before releasing the other key.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 07:53:03 pm »

Are you kidding?  This happens to me constantly, and it has since day one!  I thought for sure somebody would have posted about this by now!

Duplicating it is really simple, as is turning it off.  To start it:
1. Press and hold down a directional key (arrow or num).
2. Press and hold Shift.
3. Release directional key.
Testing reveals that this does not happen if you pressed Shift before the directional key.

Voila, the cursor (or camera) is moving on its own.  It honestly felt like a really annoying feature to me when I first learned how to duplicate it.  It continues when you release Shift.

To fix it:
1. Press and hold the direction opposite the cursor's movement.  The cursor should shake back and forth.
2. Press the direction it was moving, and release both keys.  Now the cursor should stop.

If that doesn't fix it, then you need to follow the steps above for making it happen again in the same direction, then perform the steps for the fix again.  More often than not, you will need to force it to happen in the same direction before the fix works.

Be careful, as it's possible to stack this glitch.  I've had the cursor shake rapidly between two squares because I had it going in two directions at once, and I've even had it going in a 2x2 circle by stacking four at once.  Each one can be turned on with a separate application of direction+shift+release direction, then performing the fix.  Before learning this, I've actually been forced to save and exit the application because I didn't know how to make it stop, but since it happens to me practically every time I use shift I've gotten used to it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:52:24 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils