Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Setting up an Army  (Read 1205 times)

nalka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Setting up an Army
« on: October 25, 2009, 01:00:30 am »

ok so i have to kill 4 fire imps, 1 magma man, and 1 fire man. what is the best to take them out? i was thinking archers with war dogs but idk if anything else is better. i was also gunna get a big group of my peasants and make a big militia with them. all they would have is obsidian swords.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Setting up an Army
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 01:35:08 am »

The magma man is a non-threat; he can't swim, so he's stuck on the level he spawned on. The fire man's the only seriously dangerous one there.

I'd say get one marksdwarf and train him up at an archery range. You want an accurate shooter, since you'll have to be shooting across z-levels into the caldera. Your biggest threat actually is going to be an imp or the fire man getting close and convincing the dwarf to dodge into the lava (dwarves often dodge incoming attacks, but they don't make certain that the direction they dodge in is remotely safe).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:32:03 am »

turn your next immigrant wave into recruits(before they can start socializing and may friends that would get a bad thought frmo their deaths), station them at the edge of the lava...

it took about 4 immigrant waves the last time I tried this, but they eventually took down all the imps and the fire man in my volcano... of course, I was going for a 7 man fortress and trying to get the immigrants killed, it just turned out that imps are wimpy...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:00:24 pm »

Ok boys, let's set you up. New recruits, says these forms. Alright now, I'm going to kit you out in these (Oilsoaked Paper Breastplates) and you can use these (Tinder Shortswords). Make sure you get good and loaded up on booze before your first patrol! Hey now, chin up, you're about to set off on an exciting adventure!

No, don't talk to anyone on your way out. It's a policy.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:11:55 pm »

To prevent being pulled into lava you can set up a 1z observation tower for your marksdwarf, right on the edge.
Ground ~~~~OOO▲',`.
Above  ....++▼....
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 02:21:27 pm by Nexii Malthus »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 07:58:40 pm »

Do you care about losing a dwarf?

A marksdwarf will take care of them easily, but training even a single marksdwarf is expensive and time consuming. You'll need hundreds of bolts to train even one, large numbers of highly skilled marksdwarves are only really available on maps with lots of wood or to more mature fortresses with goblin sieges or large breeding stocks.

An unskilled wrestler can usually kill an imp. Assuming the imp's fireball misses or doesn't cripple them, imps are small and weak. I wouldn't recommend trying to fight the fire man without a weapon though, I've seen caravan guards kill them easily but four recruits didn't do any damage last time I had to actually fight one (immigrants spawned right on the edge of the magma pipe). You also could try using traps, they won't ignite wooden cages and 10 masterwork obsidian short swords frappe them just as effectively as they grind up goblins who step on them.

Why are you fighting the fire man? Just curious, it's usually not something players bother with. They're easy enough to avoid by letting the magma flow through a fortification or magma-proof grate, and if the magma is exposed it's easier to obsidian cast it or build a wall around the top.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 11:24:42 pm »

Okay this is totally irrelevant but the thread title inspired me to make a 100 Dorf fort where at least 60 of the dorfs are champions. The fortress will actually be a FORTRESS. Not a hole in the ground with walls.

Oh yes. This will be fun.