Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battlefield 2  (Read 1305 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Battlefield 2
« on: October 24, 2009, 12:08:30 pm »

Since its now avaliable on steam and impluse, I was wondering how many people have it. If there are alot, do you guys fancy going to play some games?

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 2
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 01:08:46 pm »

I still have it, but I dont want to play FPS atm. When the urge comes, Ill post, if you want.

But I still have something useful to add! Should you get bored by the faced pacedishness and the constant artillery strikes and the planewhores and whatever else an EA driven community can throw at you...

Try the project reality mod. It's a humongous download, but it's probably worth it. Makes the game a lot more tactical and sometimes a lot more interesting. Has a stable community and is widely accepted, too, so no obscure "why exactly did I install this"-bs. But it has somewhat of a learning curve and you should probably read the wiki to find out what's going on.

Because completely different spawn mechanics apply, for instance.

edit:
Personally I actually cant stand shooters in which you cannot make proper use of cover. Either adaptive ducking (reliant on cover height) while aiming or the ability to lean are sort of required for proper shooters, imho. Else it's just like piloting pinocchio through a lead infested shitstorm... why oh why didnt they implement this! this little detail is something that really drove me away.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:13:51 pm by Puck »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 01:37:59 pm »

I've never seen a game with adaptive cover (Not counting games like Gears of War), and I've always hated trying to take cover and still getting shot.
Shoes...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 01:56:26 pm »

IIRC Vietcong 1 pulls it off pretty perfectly, at least I never seen it done better. Extra bonus point for a semi intelligent, simple routine, that determines dynamically wether your run/walk and crouch buttons are to be treated as toggles or switches. Click once to toggle, keep pressed to perform action until you release button, no useless hassling with the options/keymaps.

IIRC GRAW2 (didnay play 1) makes em lean adaptively out of cover a bit. At least you CAN lean, which actually is enough to make use of cover. Since popping your head out OVER a cover actually isnt that much of a good idea. (you need to expose more of your body to be able to shoot when you pop out over, also those parts tend to react more critical to injury. I mean, I rather not get into a firefight, but if I had to, and I got hit, I'd rather have it in the shoulder than in the brain, please  ;D)

Graphics might be dated, but if you think you're interested in something like this DEFINETLY try VC1 (2 wasnt that good...), you can even consider buying the purple haze edition, which includes the expansion pack, iirc. Should be cheap, imho definetly worth it.

Devs played a lot of woodball before they went to make that game, and imho you notice that, in a positive way.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:59:00 pm by Puck »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 03:00:21 pm »

I have Vietcong, I didn't notice the adaptive cover.
Shoes...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 09:55:47 pm »

I've got my BF2 discs around here somewhere...  I just had a slight problem with patches, last time I checked.

As in, I could only find the latest patch, and the latest patch was only backwards compatible with the previous version.  After much rooting and rummaging, I found that the version IT was compatible with only worked on an installation of the version before that.

To which I said "bugger off, you whiny twats.  If you can't make a damned backwards-compatible patch then you deserve to be kicked in the shins.  I don't care how shiny the expansion pack is, quit advertising it to me".

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 05:13:44 am »

It seems my disc got corrupt, I can play the game while it is installed, but I can't install it again. So if I want to play it I have to download an illegal copy and use my own cd-key and disc to play it :-\
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 01:13:22 pm »

I used to play a ton of BF2. Ultimately I got to the stage where I needed mods to keep the game fresh and most of them didn't work/didn't have any players. I also did a little map making, but nothing ever quite got finished (both times due to terrain-disappearing issues that occur on scale 1 maps).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 02:29:24 pm »

I too have seen the BF2 on steam, but since all the expansions are now free is it worth to buy the BF2 Complete on steam as it is the only one , or should I buy retail?