Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Monster's Den - Rougelike-ish Flash RPG  (Read 1279 times)

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Monster's Den - Rougelike-ish Flash RPG
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:50:45 am »

Hi peeps,

Found this addictive game. It's similar to Roguelike, where you explore dungeons fighting monsters and hunting for treasures, except that when you fight, it switches to turn-based combat. Hard to explain, but I can assure you it's worth trying. It even has perma-death option.  ;)

You start by forming a party consisting of four members. Each member can be any of six different classes and each of them can develop skills tailored to your tactics.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/garin/monsters-den-book-of-dread?acomplete=monster

Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Monster's Den - Rougelike-ish Flash RPG
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 11:26:09 am »

I have played a number of times. It is pretty fun, but I find it difficult and I die a lot. I probably just suck at it, but the challenge may be fun for folks here.
I got nothing

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster's Den - Rougelike-ish Flash RPG
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 04:25:01 pm »

It is challenging, especially when you play with perma-death enabled (Hardcore More). I've died 3 times since I started playing last night. The deepest I could go was the fourth level of the dungeon.

My best party composition so far is:
Warrior - Wall (with ability to heal self) and physical damage dealer
Cleric - Healer and minor support (reduce enemy's accuracy spell)
Mage - Long range and area-damage spellcaster
Ranger - Support (haste- and health regeneration-like spell) and occasionally physical damage dealer

As you may have noticed, I played defensively due to perma-death being enable. The Ranger, while didn't get a lot of chance to deal damage (she did a lot when she hit, though, because of high DEX), was surprisingly useful with her buffs.

I'm considering to go with three melee characters (Warrior, Cleric, Rogue) and one Mage for the next go because the party should have more survivability and raw physical damage.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)