Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d16] Ludicrously thin river (bug?)  (Read 1111 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d16] Ludicrously thin river (bug?)
« on: October 13, 2009, 09:28:28 pm »

I don't know if this is so much a bug as just an edge case that probably shouldn't be allowed. Check out this underground river:

I'm right up against the edge of the map here. Aren't rivers supposed to be at least three-four tiles wide?

Made with the Cat Fortress mod 1.03.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Re: [40d16] Ludicrously thin river (bug?)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:39:32 pm »

We have no reference in terms of scale.
One tile is large enough to contain a dragon...
Most underground rivers are wider, yes, but they don't HAVE to be.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 08:15:35 pm »

It still looks weird, considering that every other flowing water source I've seen has been at least three tiles wiles. Excepting the brook sources, of course, but this is a terminus, not a source.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:13:40 pm »

Interesting. It may be that, because (a) it is right by the edge and approaching obliquely, not dead-on, and (b) water source tiles are treated specially, the game can't find a solution.

By this I mean, it could show the full width of the river, but then it would extend to the edge of the map. So it would either have to have (judging by your screenshot) 20 or 25 water source tiles all in a row, which is too many, or it would have to have "empty" (not solid rock) tiles at the edge of the map, underground - which is impossible except in the special cases of chasms, underground river source tiles, etc.

So maybe the engine doesn't know how to move the river laterally or change the angle, which would solve such a problem.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:24:33 pm »

Yeah, this does look like a literal edge case.  If it's limited to underground rivers, though, it's likely to become obsolete, since those are getting either reworked or totally removed in the next version.

Anyone seen this happen with above-ground rivers?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 05:06:01 pm »

Hmm; I just got almost the exact same thing. One crucial difference though:

Spoiler: z (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: z-1 (click to show/hide)

Note that the waterfall tiles are as normal, but the river itself is still tiny. So it must be something about hitting the edge at that angle.

Using RantingRodent's graphics pack, and made some of my own creature raw edits (helping megabeasts survive, mostly), but other than that it's vanilla d16.

And yes, I used Reveal 2. I'm scouting for a megaproject; that's my paper-thin excuse O_0
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:40 am »

Well, maybe it's not an edge thing after all. This is just plain weird-looking.

Spoiler: z (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: z-1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: z-2,z-3,z-4 (click to show/hide)

So I guess they merely have odd gen habits. Hopefully Footkerchief is right and they'll be getting a revamp.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 07:41:46 am »

UG features are getting entirely redone in the next version.

Looks like it's a bug unique to UG Rivers, probably something funny going on in the width calcs at extreme angles.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 07:09:24 pm »

I just found a brook with something similar, although its just a sudden almost 90 degree bend which seems to hit the region tile edge initially but quickly expands out to normal. The sudden bend is in itself, unusual for brooks though as they have a gentler curve.

Anyways, I've also found a cave river which does this several times and to a bit of an extreme, on a different worldgen though.

I would agree with the origional theory about it bieng from sharp angles as it seems like that is what's doing it.

If anybody wants, I can get screenshots, although Visual Fortress shows the cave river in its entirety.

I realize that the UG rivers/pools (actually, pools are probably staying, just under a different label probably) are getting revamped and this bug is moot.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:13:39 pm by smjjames »