Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How Necessary is a Drawing Tablet?  (Read 2350 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: How Necessary is a Drawing Tablet?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 08:59:41 am »

I'm too much of a luddite to use a tablet. I still have some music on vinyl.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 01:04:21 pm »

My current tablet is a P1700 (about $37?) CD-R KING, which I bought as a replacement for my broke-ass old tablet.

It's absolute crap. I suggest you spring for as good a tablet as you can afford. If you don't want to spend too much... well, I've heard nice things about Bamboo tablets, which are fairly cheap.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 05:01:34 pm »

I have an old Wacom Graphire4. I'm not too happy with it actually. I mean, it works how it's supposed to, but it lacks the features I truly wanted, such as angle and pressure recognition.

If I could afford to, I wouldn't mind replacing it with something more proper. Otherwise, I'm extending my abilities with a mouse. So far, I'm far more accurate with a mouse anyway.

It shouldn't be a total loss however. I might rig up my tablet for a livestream for some games that utilize lightguns; since I lack one of those. The accuracy is hit or miss anyway, so it should be effective enough as a lightgun-mockup. We'll see. At least I can adjust the area of effect to fit in an emulated screen.

EDIT:
Turns not enough emulators are compatible with doing that. Sad really. I was looking forward to some livestreaming fun with that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 08:12:06 pm by Itnetlolor »

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 10:06:39 pm »

Well technically I could afford the really expensive Cintiq tablet, but 2000 dollars is really alot more than I want to spend on a tablet. If it really makes that much of a difference I might be willing to spring for a 200 dollar one.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 03:01:46 am »

Hi there, sorry to jump in on your thread here, but I also am thinking about getting a tablet, probably a Wacom Intuos4 small, (can get one off 'net for 160 pounds sterling).

I figure if I am gonna spend any money on one, I may as well get the tilt recognition and stupid pressure sensitivity so at least I don't waste some money on a cheap tablet that just replaces the mouse for functionality except I get to hold it in my hand like a pen.

Anyone any idea if I can use this with most of its features with GIMP?

Am I gonna have to shell out for some software?

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 03:14:54 am »

I have the same question as mendonca, but specifically for Photoshop Elements 8. I am planning on getting Photoshop, but as a hobbyist will Photoshop Elements 8 suffice?

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2009, 03:21:03 am »

Hi there, sorry to jump in on your thread here, but I also am thinking about getting a tablet, probably a Wacom Intuos4 small, (can get one off 'net for 160 pounds sterling).
As for me i'd better get an Intuos3 A5 for the same price.
I've understand already that for the photo-editing and drawing the size of a working area is matters too.

Anyone any idea if I can use this with most of its features with GIMP?

Am I gonna have to shell out for some software?
For photo-works the best of all times are Photoshops family, it beats all other software, including PhotoPaint and other expensive progs.
So try a pirate copy of Photoshop before buying it.  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 [2]