Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Elves in worldgen are hopeless!  (Read 1674 times)

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elves in worldgen are hopeless!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 07:20:49 pm »

People blaming wooden weapons and elf specific fighting nerfs... They still outnumbered a guy 84 to 1 and decided to flee. To me at least, that's the wierd part, moreso than that they lost that many to such a small group.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 11:49:48 pm »

thats pretty normal actually. I believe attackers flee when they lose leaders, just like in ingame siege fights.  They don't care about the numbers.  The question is, did they come back to finish the job later? They usually do.

When a group only has a handful of units left, they tend to be elite. and the more waves the 'stronger' civ throws against them, the more elite they become.  It's like the law of inverse ninjas.

For some true amusement search out the ELF-ZERG topics from back when this phenomenon was first discovered.. 'weak' civs like elves can throw 1000 units at 20 elite humans and lose 400 of them.

of course eventually the champion humans will die from old age and their children will die horribly
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 02:28:56 am »

I can see that playing out.  The elves turn up and steamroll 7 dudes who are minding their own business, and 12 elves die in the process.  No biggie, they know how to make more.  Then, out of nowhere, Istro rolls up and starts killing them with a sharp piece of non-wood, kicking their sternums in and biting through their necks.  27 elf necks later, the rest of the crew says, "Fuck this shit," and heads for the horizon.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 04:27:15 am »

Elves don't exactly breed like rabits

They just effectively don't lose their population to age and are always at their prime breeding age.

In fact they breed at a rate less then humans and Dwarves as stated in the raws.

So basically it is somewhat of a programming oversight.

Goblins don't overbreed because their society is ridden with murder. If they didn't murder eachother they would breed in a similar way to the elves.
Throw in famine and your description of Goblins would be very like humans after the transition to agriculture. It wasn't really until the British empire that the average bloke had a large enough family that they were eager to let their sons go off to war to make something of themselves.

People blaming wooden weapons and elf specific fighting nerfs... They still outnumbered a guy 84 to 1 and decided to flee. To me at least, that's the wierd part, moreso than that they lost that many to such a small group.
The guy had just killed twenty of them. With humans the unarmed fight ratio where odds are in your favor enough to work is 3:1 but one guy killing 27 of your buddies while his 7 friends were busy killing just twelve... well, I'd want a bigger army too.

Game-wise though there's not much judgment of what they have left to fight. Fear just triggers after seeing some amount of losses on your side and once a group is fleeing even being caught in a cage and let out in a pit full of dogs n such isn't enough to make them do anything but flee.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 04:33:56 pm »

ya it's more that, elves married are married till someone stabs the married couple, other then that they are free to have a child every other year for hundreds of years...........  Incest is also really strong in elven civilizations after a few hundred years....
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 [2]