Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding problems  (Read 701 times)

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Modding problems
« on: October 23, 2009, 06:57:10 pm »

I want to mod in a stone throwing knife. Here's what I have so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My problem, now that I have modded in this stuff, is how to make the rest of the stuff correspond to it. How do I mod in a new weapon skill that corresponds to throwing knives?
How can I make the "make rock throwing knife" task available at a craftdwarf's shop? Anything else I will need to worry about? Remember, all I have at this point is that entry in the item_weapon folder.

Zergs! They won't show up, though.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They work in adventure mode, they ambush and own me, but won't appear in fortress mode. why is this? Also, how can I mod the "scythes" on the zerg to have claws?

Thanks guys. Mucho mucho, etc.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Modding problems
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:26:14 pm »

You can't mod in a new skill, nor can you allow dwarves to use the existing knife skill in Fortress mode. There is, however, a modding trick involving ranged weapons and ammo I can't quite recall that allowed your dwarves to use any weapon skill they want, though getting them to use the damn things would require no less micromanagement than simply setting the knives to use the SWORD skill and preventing your knife-wielders from using normal skills.

Your craftshop should already have the option to make the knives from obsidian. To make them out of other stones, you'll either need to make seperate reactions in the Smelter for each stone, or wait until the next version when we'll have better workshop customization.

I'm not sure why the zerglings aren't showing up in Fortress mode, they seem to have all the tags they need to show up and they don't have any tags I know of that prevent them from showing up. If they're ambushing you in Adventure mode, you're probably just unlucky; try changing their biome to something specific, removing all of the creatures that inhabit that biome, and embarking there a few times.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that last question. Are you trying to put claws on the end of their scythes?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 07:29:01 pm »

Thanks man, you're an awesome help.
I think I'll mod throwing knives to use the THROWING (tantrum) skill.

Yes, I'm trying to put claws on the end of their scythes. I remember from my brief stint into SC that they had those huge back-scythe things, and I wanted to include them.
So how could I do that?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 07:49:45 pm »

Try altering your 2SCYTHES entry in the body raws to this. If you haven't made it yet, put this in the body_default file.

Claws on the end of scythes seems a bit redundant to me, mind you.

[BP:RSCYTHE:right scythe][CON:UB]
[BP:LSCYTHE:left scythe][CON:UB]
[BP:RCLAW:right claw][CON:RSCYTHE]
[BP:LCLAW:left claw][CON:LSCYTHE]

Back to the knives, if you're planning on using them as a ranged weapon, it won't work. The modding trick I mentioned earlier only works with melee weapons (I believe it involves making the weapon with the unorthadox skill as a ranged launcher, and then having its ammo have a more conventional skill but not available to your dwarves at all).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.