Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do magma-cast'ed interiors count as underground?  (Read 2154 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do magma-cast'ed interiors count as underground?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 10:58:25 pm »

Actually, you can't. Not above ground. Can't construct near the edges.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 11:20:02 pm »

Sure you can. You can build bridges out to the edge of the map, and floors. You just can't build walls, but you don't need those since the edge of the map holds magma as a wall.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 03:35:05 am »

Ooooh, I hadn't thought of that! That's great!

Thanks, guys (and gals. Possibly :P)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 08:37:30 pm »

How did it work out?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 02:17:07 am »

Well, RL got in the way, sadly enough, so I had to leave DF (and any non-work computer use) aside while I tied up loose ends to prepare for a move to another country.

I just about picked it up again, so I hope to see results on this before too long (even though I even had to start back up from scratch). I currently need about 30 more z-levels in my pump tower, and I'm digging the hydroelectric power-plant I'll need to power the whole thing.

After that, I'll have to pave the skies three times over (bottom level, magma reservoir, water reservoir), and then I'm done! Simple, innit?  ;D

I'll see if I can't make  a video out of it, if only for the massive steam cloud :P

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 07:42:10 pm »

I think it should work, if you can cast the entire thing underground before digging off the top layer.  I can't see how the game would know your water+magma is any different from the "natural" stuff since it was made in the same fashion.  Although obviously the stuff that is there when your wagon arrives could have a flag set that you can never get on anything which appears afterward.

I look forward to your result.   ;D

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2009, 06:19:34 pm »

I tested this myself, and it works.  I did it on a very small scale, but the cast obsidian did block the evil rays of light just as if they had been put there from the beginning of time.

D=Dirt, undisturbed with grass and trees
N=nothing (where the magma and water pouring came from)
O=cast obsidian
R=ordinary rock
S=stairs
C=dug chamber

DDDDDDDDD
DDDDDDDDD
NNNNNNNNN
NNNNNNNNN
OOOOOOOO
OCCSCCOO
RRRRSRRRR

I removed the two layers of dirt, with ramps and then a channel, and the light, aboveground designation shone through the nothingness layers but did not penetrate the cast obsidian.

So, it would be a huge project, but it would indeed be possible to dig out the entire underground, cast it as obsidian, and then dig away the final uppermost layer of dirt or rock in order to obtain a solid obsidian fortress still tagged as indoor, underground when hollowed out.

For best results, it should be inside a 140-level mountain.   :D

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 11:13:29 pm »

... Actually, you can cast the border of the map, since magma doesn't flow off the edge of the map.

Does this mean that you could, with careful planning, wall off the entire outside world with magma casting?
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 11:36:53 pm »

*Nod* Well, you could cast an obsidian ring along the map edge, yes. Traders, invaders and immigrants just might appear on the newly cast floor, though. I'm not sure if that's ever been tested.

You could also omit the casting.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Pages: 1 [2]