Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Forest spirit.  (Read 908 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Forest spirit.
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:47:00 pm »

I was wondering, after watch various films, would it be possible to include some sort of forest spirit who looks over and after all the creatures who live in there. I have several ideas in my head atm, what about; a) if you cut down too many trees in a certain time, or don't allow the saplings to grow back, it sends some kinda champion forest... beast thing... like a super wolf, or a super pig... *cough cough*. b) animals become less common the more your cut trees down, by destroying their natural habitat (a lesson to those who only understand through game)... and theres a few more but i don't really think they'd work :P how about it?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Forest spirit.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »

only if you can kill it and make a stack of 300 =Fortress Spirit Bolts= and a *Fortress Spirit Skull* and some +Fortress Spirit Leather Armor+.

Also bonus points if it's flammable so you can watch it run around, on fire, lighting the rest of the forest on fire as it bumps into trees.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Zenatrul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »

Ents coming and attacking your fortress or something would be pretty cool from cutting down too many trees.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 03:32:00 pm »

The elves used to bring druids that animated the trees, but like other bits and pieces of magic it was taken out until something more robust goes in.

As for forest spirits in particular, we were planning on having "forces" generated for regions like the historical figures.  The same would go for deities.  A force/spirit and a deity would be roughly equivalent, I suppose.  See for example Power Goal 64 or 75.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »

Oooh, Ents, I like.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 07:18:00 pm »

Sounds pretty cool.

Can't wait for magic!

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

SHISHIGAMI WILL POKE YOU TO DEATH

DO NOT REMOVE HEAD

>:C

Anyway, I think the wildlife bit is already in the works or will be in the future. I agree though, as certain conditions decline - total trees, total shrubs, total grassy tiles, total water - the wildlife population should decline. (More specifically, it should repopulate more slowly until the environment reaches a point where repopulating for certain animals stops.) This would make conservation a big deal for people who like for their dwarves to hunt and fish. If an environmental health factor were put in that effects how fast trees and shrubs regrow as well, it could very well effect the economy of your entire fortress. Isn't pollution planned, which would have an effect similar to this?

As for the forest spirits, elves can already launch attacks on your fortress if you violate a tree-cutting quota. There should be other denizens of the forest that take offense to your logging, though. Not just lurking wild predators, no. Ents - Tree-Men as the game might call them - would be wonderful. Dryads could tack themselves onto certain trees and attempt to ward off anyone who tries to cut them down. (Magic would be preferable here.) Both of those could be inhabitants of 'good' forests. As for more general forest hazards? Bees. I've suggested massive-ass bees before, but seriously, what if you disturb a random tree and it spawns a few swarms of bees that cause injury to nearby dwarves? That'd kick ass. You could even trap them and set up an apiary. I suggested a few nasty things that might appear in an 'evil' forest, also. (Killer murkwood trees, giant flytraps, etc.) Undead ents could appear in an 'evil' zone too, which would make logging in those terrible places even more horrid than it already is.

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

InquisitiveIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress seems to me to be the subtle reference type of game as opposed to, say, kingdom of loathing.  If you want a Princess Mononoke nod, might I suggest modding in a kodama vermin?

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Failmore:
<STRONG>SHISHIGAMI WILL POKE YOU TO DEATH

DO NOT REMOVE HEAD

>:C</STRONG>

EVIL BALL OF IRON
APPLY DIRECTLY TO FOREHEAD

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Balsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2007, 12:50:00 am »

OH HEY, LORAX HERE. JUST STOPPING BY TO REMIND YOU NATURE RAPISTS NOT TO CUT DOWN MY TREES.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 01:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>The elves used to bring druids that animated the trees, but like other bits and pieces of magic it was taken out until something more robust goes in.</STRONG>

I remember that, which version was magic officially taken out of (temporarily)? I'd like to get my hands on that again.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 04:06:00 pm »

I don't think I ever posted a version with magic in it.  Maybe one of the early playtesters would remember when I took it out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!