Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What's your ideal game?  (Read 2791 times)

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's your ideal game?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 03:33:38 pm »

I would like a 2d top view real time strategy game with units realistically based off real world weapons and vehicles that would let you select a battlefield using google maps from anywhere in the world. It would then use the photo to generate the terrain features. You would be free to choose the scale of battle. If you want only a handful of soldiers fighting for your neibourhood, then you got it. You want a massive conflict fought over entire continents with only two sided, both claiming a nuklear arsenal, you're free to go. The game would have strategic zoom that would let you close up to see individual solidiers and tanks duking it out on the streets(possibly only as dot and squares but its still awesome) and all the way out would give you the big picture showing divisions and command centres on the globe. It would also feature a chain of command. The amount of micro control you would have over units would be limited to the distance they are from your command centre. A division thousands of miles away from any command bulding would react to orders slowly, and only respond to broad commands such as "retreat" or "fortify". However if you are fighting a last stand for your command post or just a small scale scenario then you can mirco each and every troop like a zergling.

tl;dr : an RTS with terrain graphics taken from google earth and unit graphics like in DEFCON. Gameplaywise Total Annihilation but on a massive scale.

Man, I wish I could program cause my idea seems like it could be doable.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 06:17:38 pm »

A kind of historical strategy game with an amazing scale of depth and realism, where the immersion pretty much makes you feel totally a part of the world. Playing a different country would be totally different and there would be tons of replay value. Honestly, I guess it's just EU3+MMP2 and then some. Pretty awesome that my ideal game exists for the most part.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 07:17:53 pm »

I like several of the spacey ideals that have been put forward.
My ideal would game needs not be tha much in depth or simulated in too much detail, if only there is enough fluff and style that the imagination is triggered.
Mind I love viual magics, its just that developers tend to pour too much effort into the newest engine forgetting the game itself.

Sim Earth comes quite close to what I currently would like to run: a sandbox simulator in which creatures and environment interact and do their stuff without needing my input all the time (or ever) .
Sort of a crystalball -screensaver thing.
I'd also like a Simearth*creatures2 hybrid... unless genetics were mangled to creationist level like in Spore.
Maybe in the future the spore eyecandy will be salvaged to create a game with interesting gameplay and simulation... spore as it should have been as somebody already mentioned.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Flintus10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 06:52:24 am »

Any RPG/FPS where the AI is good enough to actually react realistically and play out it's own actions without the player having to even see it would be cool as it would basically create a game with near ultimate replay value, even if it was just on a very small scale it would make a great game (providing other mechanics are at least resonably up to scratch of course) plus I am a sucker for a great story and character development (RARE!)

My ideal game is a life simulator taking place between the 12th and 15th centuries in the Mediterranean. It would be like The Guild, only so much more. You want to be a Venetian merchant? Go for it. A bricklayer in Damascus? Yes. A high class courtesan living in Florence? A miserable beggar living in the slums of Cairo? If you can manage it, yes and yes.

Not saying these things are possible, or even remotely interesting to anyone but me. But it's my dream game.

Also This ^^.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:54:02 am by Flintus10 »

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 01:47:09 pm »

I'm trying hard to make a lot of the suggestions here a reality.  I haven't gotten there yet, but I hope to do so eventually.  After I feel comfortable with what I've done on my current project, this is what I plan to do:

First imagine every mechanic that Faery Tale Online uses now (*and will eventually have): Real family births and mating, aging effects, multiple races, latitude-based weather + effects, seasons, mining, city building, permadeath, pvp, decay, story logs, *army systems, *farming, *animal husbandry + *mounts, *vehicular and *sea travel.

On top of all that, imagine a browser-based RPG universe with infinite star systems to explore, all generated randomly on-the-fly as player characters come into proximity.  Each system would have a variable range of planets, moons and other cosmic entities.  Each planet would range in size, weather and ecology with an equal amount of detail as the FTO world.  Each description for every plant, animal and natural feature would be spawned from a mega-list of adjectives (colors, shapes, textures, etc).  All of this would would be generated at the instant the first explorer comes in contact with a system's inhabitants.

Then imagine that a character or a group of characters can build their own unique spaceships that can be entered, moved about in, and flitted about the universe at varying speeds.  Each unique planet and moon can be landed upon where characters can begin exploring, terraforming, and colonizing.  All characters will be able to build a huge assortment of equipment beyond the growing list that FTO already has.  Creatures would vary wildly in behavior so you could find anything from, docile Ewok-like creatures, to terrifying killing machines similar to the movie, "Alien".  There would be no level-scaling here, so exploring new worlds would be extremely risky, yet rewarding.

So that's the basis for my ideal game and future project.  The great thing here is that I already have most of the code in place from FTO, and most of the new features planned out.  Barring my death, I hope and plan to make this a reality at some point.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:51:51 pm by lumin »
Pages: 1 [2]