Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't Beat out a suggestion (Spoilers! Don't say I didn't warn you)  (Read 640 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Goodness, there just seems to be no proper location for this. Were the chat program still around I'd ask them for help on this but they are not so I won't.

I want to get this suggestion done but I can't seem to put it together in a pleasing and more importantly an Inspired manner. What do you suggest I do?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is where I am right now. But I am noticing that I keep adding more and more of the same and it just gets less and less interesting. Maybe I am just overanalysing it.

Worst of all is I cannot consolidate what I am refering to in a pleasing manner. For example I thought of a Giant floating monolith Titan with glowing runes on the side and steel girders on every corner. At the bottom on the monolith is a large pig-iron ring that hosts a series of four lengthy chains. The monolith attacks with those chains.

Heck before I even made this I was actually planning on drawing Titans and simply saying what you could get out of them... but I am not good enough of an artist for that idea to work. Heck I was even planning on generating spheres as well for some random creatures.

A Large Brainlike creature where the wrinkles of the brain is represented by vines that can lash out at attackers was another.

It really frustrates me when I don't come through with an idea. I am still guilty for that unfinished Sphere and unfinished Insanity suggestion threads.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:43:23 pm by Neonivek »

Auldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Beat out a suggestion (Spoilers! Don't say I didn't warn you)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:43:54 pm »

This will probably sound sarcastic, but... The suggestions forum? Although you want input from other people, it is in the end, a suggestion  :P

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 07:15:00 pm »

Big 'ole lists are kinda distracting.  They don't say "argue with this idea," just "here's some things that could possibly happen."  What sort of input do you expect?  People inevitably skim.  The pictures/drawings, with interpretations, would help break up the fence o' text.  Also, spoiler'd lists, with summaries, would help break up the monotony.

Remember that "randomly generated creatures" doesn't just apply to Titans and Forgotten Beasts.  You should consider adding some more mundane options, and explain a little how the game could be expected to piece all of this together.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 10:13:18 pm »

I didn't want to go into other random creatures because for the most part it could be expanded there and I had a similar thread. That and it is rather easy to expand towards it and limiting scope is a better way to get people's attention then overloading them with possibilities (there is a term for that, I cannot remember)

Anyhow this is just me trying to make it better before I put it to the suggestion forum. Which is something I kinda wanted to do many times but never did.

What sort of input do you expect?

More organisation suggestions and possibly how to avoid overload of information. Drawings, Interpretation? Ohh my Fluff loading you say? Well I guess that couldn't hurt.

Although you want input from other people, it is in the end, a suggestion 

Suggestions for how to do a suggestion is unrelated to the suggestion forum which is about suggestions for the game while this is about how to do a suggestion for the suggestion forum better.

Ultimately though I always make suggestions for the game rather then the forum but I realise that information that wouldn't be acceptable for the suggestion forum is also unacceptable for Toady.