Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kael's fire sword project: New video of blueprint in action!  (Read 2390 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Kael's fire sword project: New video of blueprint in action!
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:58:35 am »

How to make a pair of fire swords:

But first...

INSPIRATION

Okay, so lately the artist's block has hit me hard, and I have these swords that the girly got for me back in July, and I haven't done anything with them besides practice. My dancing has gone to shit, I haven't practiced all that much, and I have video footage from May to edit.

So here I will be posting progress on my swords, or lack thereof, and you can verbally abuse me if I fail to get this finished this week. It shouldn't take longer than a full day really, but I'll be updating with a how-to that I've been meaning to type up anyhow. First pictures will go up this afternoon.

I will now sleep on it and update with my parts and pre-construction rundown when i get up.

Let me know if there's anything you want to know or are particularly interested in. It motivates me when I'm teaching.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:13:25 am by KaelGotDwarves »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kael's fire sword project: Got all the parts, just lack motivation
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 11:04:00 am »

Fire nun-chuks, and then run a kata with them.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 11:19:28 am »

Fire nun-chuks, and then run a kata with them.
Attach chainsaws to the en-

Fire chainsaw.
 It will take some doing to have the chain constantly covered in a flammable liquid and make sure the fire does not melt the internals, but imagine that...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 11:41:20 am »

Set two pistols and all of their bullets on fire, then run a gun kata.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 04:04:07 pm »

Firenunchuks are awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqV5-W6l5k&feature=related

Anyway, what kind of swords are you using? A core wraped in teflon? Or a real blade with teflon on one side?
Also, do you have any intent to actualy use them? Would be awesome to preform with your own swords. Agni and Rudra anyone?[/c]

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 05:12:42 pm »

BUMP!

Any reports on this?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kael's fire sword project: Totally slacking, but taking pretty pictures
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 04:00:58 am »

TOTAL SLACK!

I started wrapping the swords after securing the edges of the kevlar. Will update the first post ASAP as it is 2am, but first, a media update:

My design is based on Howoward's of Controlled Burn in Reno, NV with whom I've had the pleasure of hanging out with at Firedrums in Santa Cruz. He has beyond a doubt the best designed pair of fire swords I've ever seen in my travels and has been kind enough to share the design with me so that I could share with others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIsNoibkdCA

He's the guy in black leather coat with 2 fire swords.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 04:10:46 am »

Firenunchuks are awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqV5-W6l5k&feature=related

Anyway, what kind of swords are you using? A core wraped in teflon? Or a real blade with teflon on one side?
Also, do you have any intent to actualy use them? Would be awesome to preform with your own swords. Agni and Rudra anyone?[/c]

The swords I'm using are actual Spring-steel practice blades. They are oddly extremely well suited for the conversion into fire swords, being both sturdy enough to withstand the heat of the flames and light enough to wield properly. Performance Wushu steel is too light and flimsy to hold, and combat steel is incredibly unwieldy with all the wicking.

My wicking is a kevlar/nomex blend. I will post a list of providers later :) as well as fuel types and other fire discussion.

And yes, I will actually use them. I am a secretly-amateur/professional fire performer on the side. See avatar  :D I've worked with swords before but I don't own my own pair. This is my first.

That video you posted is extremely washed out D:

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Kael's fire sword project: New video of blueprint in action!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 01:43:42 pm »

Wait, so your avatar is actuely YOU? Awesome!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 03:16:48 pm »

The swords I'm using are actual Spring-steel practice blades. They are oddly extremely well suited for the conversion into fire swords, being both sturdy enough to withstand the heat of the flames and light enough to wield properly. Performance Wushu steel is too light and flimsy to hold, and combat steel is incredibly unwieldy with all the wicking.

My wicking is a kevlar/nomex blend. I will post a list of providers later :) as well as fuel types and other fire discussion.

And yes, I will actually use them. I am a secretly-amateur/professional fire performer on the side. See avatar  :D I've worked with swords before but I don't own my own pair. This is my first.

That video you posted is extremely washed out D:

I'm not a fireslinger or anything myself, but one of my coleages is, so I do pick some things up, and the technics and techniques behind it are quite interesting. Myabe one day I'll try something firey myself.

Anyway, Good luck on making these. Would be cool to see you preform with your own swords ;)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kael's fire sword project: New video of blueprint in action!
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 05:06:17 pm »

This project is too awesome not to bump this :P