Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Subforums for most prominent mods?  (Read 754 times)

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Subforums for most prominent mods?
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:53:10 pm »

Hulloh!

I've just recently begun to look into the wonderful world of Dwarf Fortress mods, primarily because what I found vanilla DF to lack was an option to make the game militarily harder in a significant way. Anyways, I'm not going to ask for mod recommendations, my topic is, as you might have deduced from the subject line, another one.

Would it be worthwhile to let there be specific subforums for particularly prominent / much-played mods? Like, sub-subforums under the mods subforum. That's how things are on the official Mount & Blade forum, and I can testify that it's a working system. It allows for organized discussion on particular features of the mod in question, and since the sub-subforums are only linked to from the mod subforum, they won't clutter the main forum page. It's not particularly convenient to limit all discussion related to a particular mod to a single 20+ page thread.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Subforums for most prominent mods?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 03:59:37 pm »

I just don't think there's enough traffic or popularity for the 'major' mods to justify having entire forums about them hosted here. The threads may be huge, but they work, and many of the big mods have websites of their own. The mods may be popular, sure, but who says they'll even be around for the next version? Or the version after that? Plus, who would moderate these forums? Toady would have to give some powers to the creators, and he's made it clear in the past that he's uncomfortable with moderatorship. And then we'd have people bitching about 'why isn't my mod popular enough, whine whine whine' And even then, at the end of it all, they just wouldn't get enough traffic. The 'megathreads' for lack of a better term work, and people are fine with either reading the first post of them for 99% of everything you need to know about said mod, or ignoring it and posting a thread that gets 3 posts and is then ignored anyway.

I just don't think it's a great idea.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 04:19:39 pm »

I don't see why someone needs a new thread just to ask a question about a mod or comment on some bug.  If a mod is really so great and deep that it deserves its own forum, the creator should see to establishing and managing it.

I also don't see why every person who has a problem with one of the Mayday distributions can't post on the respective thread.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 11:46:20 pm »

not a subforum for prominent but a subforum for prominent types. after all if what I want is creature to kill me better I don't need to slog through "why is the cat saying its hurt?" threads(no offense to you who post them, we were all new at one point). So a subforum for deadly mods would be nice.

rethought! have a sticky thread that list the deadly mods like there's a thread for the "Community Mods and utilities list.". have it instead be the "Deadly Creature Mod Round up" or some such.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 11:49:16 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 03:13:06 pm »

The community mod list is stickied, and is a pretty good resource for this. Though it could stand some more subcategories, I guess.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:41:18 pm »

Just to tell you all I put up my Deadly Creature Mods! thread with a growing list of creatures that people like to use and make more "fun" for themselves.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Taal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 06:03:25 am »

Every game Ive been part of that has made individual sections for large mods have both, made it difficult for new people and general browsing, and caused in fighting and fora politics. Basically ruining the community.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 06:11:03 am »

I don't think that any mod needs a subforum just because it's really hard to manage, the romp around with determining the "worth" ones is not a great thing too, moreover a lot of people don't play clean mods but combine parts for themselves because modding is really easy to do for anyone.

The only thing I would like to have is a subforum for RELEASED mods, to avoid current mess with hundreds of idea threads/question threads/trolling threads where released mods tend to disappear. Although we'd need some kind of moderator to move the threads there to avoid spam.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Konrad von Richtmark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 03:45:23 pm »

I don't see why someone needs a new thread just to ask a question about a mod or comment on some bug.  If a mod is really so great and deep that it deserves its own forum, the creator should see to establishing and managing it.

Well, in the absence of a sub-subforum here, certainly. But I think people would prefer to have all their DF-related stuff in the same place.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 09:23:26 pm »

The only thing I would like to have is a subforum for RELEASED mods, to avoid current mess with hundreds of idea threads/question threads/trolling threads where released mods tend to disappear. Although we'd need some kind of moderator to move the threads there to avoid spam.

This is a relevant point.  I'm not sure its needed yet, but eventually it would make sense.  The file depot is nice, but it doesn't really support discussion, and the larger mods tend to get drowned in the flood here.

Well, in the absence of a sub-subforum here, certainly. But I think people would prefer to have all their DF-related stuff in the same place.

I'd prefer to have all of my money in a high-return, low-risk, short-term mutual fund.  Preference doesn't trump reality.  Establishing and maintaining the relevant forums would be a logistical and political nightmare.  I'd rather see Toady work on the game.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.