Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A gentle farming adjustment.  (Read 4616 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: A gentle farming adjustment.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 07:08:05 am »

They were too easy to use before, and now they are a challenge akin to Kobold Bulbs and other rare plants - you can now only get them in limited quantities via extraordinary means - in this case: trading with the elves!

;D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 08:21:48 am »

I might be wrong, but I've been using the mod for a year and half now, and I'm pretty sure I've grown sunberries.  Just got to make sure your planter is on-task.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 07:47:13 am »

I LOVE THE ORIGINAL FICTION FOR EACH UNDERGROUND CROP...

Sorry. Just that the Images that I got from reading them, if they are the OP's work. I say bloody oath mate good on ya...

Will be adding this to my new challange shortly...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 08:44:47 am »

I might be wrong, but I've been using the mod for a year and half now, and I'm pretty sure I've grown sunberries.  Just got to make sure your planter is on-task.

The wiki states

Crops will sometimes be displayed as red in the field listing. This is believed to mean:
    * Your farmers do have the required seeds to plant this, but
    * There is not enough time left this season for the crop to grow before next season, and
          o This crop can not be grown next season, or
          o It is winter, because crops don't wrap around year to year.

Does this mean that this was a (fairly) recent change and sunberries are impossible to grow, or does it mean that as long as it doesn't finish growing in an invalid season then it can't be planted and so the year requirement for sun-berries makes it okay.

I am confused :)

I will test it when I get a chance but thought I'd post incase someone else new and could save me the time.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 08:59:20 pm »

The wiki states

Crops will sometimes be displayed as red in the field listing. This is believed to mean:
    * Your farmers do have the required seeds to plant this, but
    * There is not enough time left this season for the crop to grow before next season, and
          o This crop can not be grown next season, or
          o It is winter, because crops don't wrap around year to year.

Does this mean that this was a (fairly) recent change and sunberries are impossible to grow, or does it mean that as long as it doesn't finish growing in an invalid season then it can't be planted and so the year requirement for sun-berries makes it okay.

I am confused :)

I will test it when I get a chance but thought I'd post incase someone else new and could save me the time.

So far, i've not been able to grow them. Even on day 1 of summer, they are still "red" and unable to be grown.

What happens if we shorten the grow time to two seasons and allow them to be grown only during spring and summer. That way, the have to be planted at the very beginning of spring, and must be  harvested at the end of summer? It still forces the "one batch per year, only harvest in summer".

There isn't a way to require fertilization or fallow fields for the other months, is there?
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 12:14:59 am »

I find it works really well if you allow them to planted in summer and in autumn.  They'll be red all of autumn, but that's just when you harvest.  You plant in the summer.

Alternatively, if you prefer them to be harvested in the summer, enable spring.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster
Pages: 1 [2]