Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Outdoor miasma?  (Read 1134 times)

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Outdoor miasma?
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:12:41 am »

1) The wiki claims that miasma can only be produced on a subterranean square, and until recently that's been my experience as well.  But I've started seeing miasma even in outdoor refuse piles recently.  Is this a change in 40d?

2) Cat keeps dragging in dead things and leaving them in my stairwells and such, which occasionally produces huge miasma clouds  stretching across several z-levels.  Anyone got any tricks to help prevent that?  The cat showed up as an immigrants pet, so I can't slaughter it.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
Re: Outdoor miasma?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 07:15:51 am »

Regarding 2: cages and magma, as usual :)
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Elvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 08:34:53 am »

Regarding 1) check the Z-level above the refuse pile. It might be that you dug it out without removing the ceiling, thus causing an overhang.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 09:42:05 am »

kuro:

How do you cage a cat that's a pet?

Elvin:

Definitely not the problem.  I've even had miasma form outside the front entrance of my fortress.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:53:38 am »

I believe only the object itself has to be underground; the Miasma will quite happily spread outside from it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:11:58 am »

Put up with the cats. The way I see it, cats generate "Haul item to stockpile" jobs for my refuse haulers and keep them from having to many "terrible vermin" unhappy thoughts. Of course, I keep all but one cat caged on the offchance a goblin ambush or siege gets the current cat, but unless you want to use hundreds of vermin traps I'd recommend just using a cat.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 11:47:35 am »

You can put floor hatches on your staircases to prevent miasma from spreading across z-levels. That's if you don't mind the constant blinking of a floohatch on a staircase, though.

As for the miasma, Neruz is right: it can be generated inside and then spread outside. I once had two kobold thieves get torn into a total of over 30 different pieces by my dogs, which I had camping on a 1x1 meeting area just inside the fortress. The inside got nasty fast (mostly because I missed a tile with five forbidden kobold chunks on it), and the outside was also covered by a cloud of purple.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 12:03:32 pm »

You can hide the hatches to get rid of the flashing.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Mr. Svinlesha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 12:18:36 pm »

Elvin:

Sorry.  You're right.  I found the problem.  Thanks.

I don't have so much against the cat, per se, but the constant clouds of miasma caused by his leftovers is getting a bit annoying.  Thanks, Derakon, I'll try your suggestion.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 01:34:50 pm »

Yeah, I tend to prefer to avoid cats to the extent possible. Sure, my dwarves might be happier wandering through clouds of miasma, but I'm happier when I can see what's going on. And it 's not like my dwarves are ever all that upset once they get a couple of meals in them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 02:49:57 am »

I have (only once) witnessed miasma generated outside, in 40d11.  It came from a vermin corpse dropped by a cat under a parking-garage-like structure I built.  That's when I realized miasma goes up - WAY up.  This was in a location that had never, ever been subterranean, but (IIRC) was at the time considered indoors.