Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beginner's Questions  (Read 2558 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Beginner's Questions
« on: October 14, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »

How do I know whether I am hungry/thirsty?
Also, which shop do I get waterskin from, and how can I prepare some wolves I killed to eat?

New Questions:
How do I know where merchants are in dwarven and elven villages?
How do I get all items of one type, eg. Iron Bolts to stack. I have been using them as throwing weapons for my axeman and I have lots of them in ones in my inventory.
Can I buy a map of the world with locations of all the towns or something?
If I go to, for example, a Dark Fortress tile, how can I find the Fortress itself??
How can I find enemies as currently I am just wandering about waiting to be ambushed?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:35:07 pm by Huggz »
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Hunger/Thirst
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 02:24:59 pm »

How do I know whether I am hungry/thirsty?
Also, which shop do I get waterskin from, and how can I prepare some wolves I killed to eat?

1)  Text at the bottom of the screen, and the 'z' menu, will show your status(es).
2)  Waterskins should be found in clothing shops, I believe.
3)  You can't eat anything you kill.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Re: Hunger/Thirst
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:31:20 pm »

Thanks for your help.

Rather than clutter the forum I edited this thread to have a few other questions.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Deandet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Questions
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:46:06 pm »

There are no merchants. In fact yes, there are merchants, but they only sell things to your fortresses in Fortress mode.
How do I get all items of one type, eg. Iron Bolts to stack. I have been using them as throwing weapons for my axeman and I have lots of them in ones in my inventory.
As far as I know, that's impossible.
Can I buy a map of the world with locations of all the towns or something?
No.
If I go to, for example, a Dark Fortress tile, how can I find the Fortress itself??
Wander in the area, and be sure that there is  --- near the Dark Fortress tile on the top left.
How can I find enemies as currently I am just wandering about waiting to be ambushed?
Wander in the area. Or sneak, move a few tiles away and fast-travel.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:50:16 pm »

There are no merchants. In fact yes, there are merchants, but they only sell things to your fortresses in Fortress mode.

Shopkeepers then, whatever they are called in Adventure.

Wander in the area. Or sneak, move a few tiles away and fast-travel.

Sorry, I dont really understand your answer. You mean sneak in the local area for a few tiles then fast travel?

Thanks for the response and the answered questions apart from those :D

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »

Make some. That's it, enter that Elven Forest Retreat and begin massacring/being massacred (you can start this only by close-combat ("A"), throwing/shooting will always miss - until they're enemies).
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:48 pm »

Make some. That's it, enter that Elven Forest Retreat and begin massacring/being massacred (you can start this only by close-combat ("A"), throwing/shooting will always miss - until they're enemies).

But I want to do some training before starting a war.. Where can I find animals, I have tried talking to Peasants etc. but they tell me a location and what animals are there, and I cant find anything. Also, is there a way of finding enemies you can see fighting in your 'a' menu, ie. combat reports? It is very frustratin becoming aware of a bunch of enemies nearby but not being able to find them...

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 01:57:30 pm »

There are no shops in the Mountainhomes or Forest retreats, thats what the previous poster was trying to say. You can't buy anything from Forest Retreats or mountainhomes in the current release of the game. Wait for a new version, cause as it stand you can only buy supplies in towns. Actual towns with above ground buildings and roads.

As for the map, you'll have to wait until your adventure is dead, and then just go into Legends mode and export a local map of the world. Don't worry about any of the advanced options, just a basic map will do. And then you'll have a image of your whole world in your DF directory, for easy use and navigation. It can be a bit... daunting at first depending on the size of your world, but it does help once you get the hang of it.

As for finding a Dark Fortress once your in the fortress tile, I'm afraid you really only have to options, wander aimlessly until you find it, or get a 3d visualizer program and take a picture of your surroundings, it'll show you the whole tile rather then just the little bit next to you, so you can identify some land marks and get your way to fortress. However, as near as I've been able to tell, the visulizers only work with vanilla versions, so no tile sets. You can always just copy your save file to a vanilla install if your really wanting to do that, and then take the image and go back to the pretty tile sets.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 05:28:08 pm »

But I want to do some training before starting a war.. Where can I find animals, I have tried talking to Peasants etc. but they tell me a location and what animals are there, and I cant find anything. Also, is there a way of finding enemies you can see fighting in your 'a' menu, ie. combat reports? It is very frustratin becoming aware of a bunch of enemies nearby but not being able to find them...

As for finding things to kill, enter the travel screen with shift-T, and walk around within this world map; don't move to the ground level view using the '>' button.  'T'raveling gives you random encounters, but ground-level walking will give you things to kill only if you physically happen upon them, which is rare. 

There is no way to find out where action in the announcements is happening.  You're right that it makes no sense.
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 06:53:37 pm »

Visualizers work with tilesets. Not Maydays custom package, but if you modified a vanilla *40d, then it should work.

This is due to Mayday having packaged 40d12, not 40d
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 07:22:39 pm »

What your experiencing Huggz is the fact that Adventure mode is barely playable at the moment.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 07:25:31 pm »

What your experiencing Huggz is the fact that Adventure mode is barely playable at the moment.
Yeah.  Go join one of the challenges lying around the forum.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 08:06:01 pm »

you can talk to people to get a map for the area.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 01:24:03 am »

you can