Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom justice  (Read 765 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Custom justice
« on: November 01, 2006, 05:55:00 am »

It would be nice to be able to make your own laws, at least in the future. For example, it would be nice to decide whether nobles get punished or not if they happen tantrum and destroy things. Likewise, setting maximum punishment for production order violation or making it entirely unpunishable would be nice too.

If Toady plans to put in some sort of dwarven alter ego for the player, making lawas too tight might result in revolution by the common dwarves while letting them be too lax might make the nobles rebellious.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Custom justice
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 06:10:00 am »

Being able to directly control punishments through a menu or something would be a pretty lame thing to do.  

Punishments changing due to various factors, AKA cracking down would be neat, though, if certain laws are repeatedly broken.

20,000leeks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 08:11:00 am »

There is something to be said for the current legal system - it adheres to the Rule of Law.

My Trade Minister banned the export of crossbows right after closing a lucrative deal with a human trade envoy for, yup, you guessed it, crossbows. So I thought I'd export them anyway, and to hell with the consequences! Since this involved shifting a lot of crossbows to the trade depot, about half my fortress was jailed. Interestingly, the Trade Minister was among those confined. I guess that'll learn him to ban important things!

Ookpik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »

Making laws unbreakable just because you don't like them feels like cheating to me.  However, I do like the idea of laws changing according to circumstances.  A noble who likes cows for their haunting moos might double the jail time for someone who hurts a cow during a tantrum.
g+@@T@+

The intruder arose, casting off its black cloak.  "Behold, stunted jesters!  It is I, Scuro!"  A jagged scar marked the goblin's face from eye to chin, his greasy mane gray and wild, and about his neck was the broken silver amulet, strapped together by a leather band.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 03:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ookpik:
<STRONG>Making laws unbreakable just because you don't like them feels like cheating to me.  However, I do like the idea of laws changing according to circumstances.  A noble who likes cows for their haunting moos might double the jail time for someone who hurts a cow during a tantrum.</STRONG>

Yeah, I'm not proposing adding this now when the player is sort of invisible hand guiding the dwarves. It would just fit nicely with addition of an alter ego, a mortal character with possibly mortal danger due to pissing people off through laws.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 02:44:00 am »

Perhaps the player could be given a degree of influence over laws, though, without getting complete control.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 06:57:00 am »

Well, the more you change them, the harder the results. Turning everything upside-down would most likely be seen as a revolution by the Dwarfhome and reacted at accordingly.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 12:23:00 pm »

I have a suggestion on dwarven justice. Now that personalities are in, dwarves who are "put off by authority and tradition" should follow their hearts and...

Resist arrest.

If they think they're being wrongfully imprisoned/beaten/hammered, (and they're probably right, all things considered) they should FIGHT BACK. Of course, that's a crime too, but it'd just be fun to see the poor legendary weaponsmith who got sentenced to 100 hammerstrikes for failing to prevent traders leaving with a bismuth goblet just up and SMACK the Hammerer around. And then of course become a fugitive, a one-dwarf migrant group who leaves the tile and shows up years later at a distant fortress having dyed his/her beard to avoid suspicion.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 01:59:00 pm »

You know, thinking back on many of the succession games (including Boatmurdered)... a number of managers claimed they were being sent out as punishment.  Exile, even exile to a brand new fortress, sounds like it'd make for a cool alternative punishment.  But I definitely like self-imposed exile to excape a harsher punishment.  Fugitives rock!