Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Planet of Dragons Succession Game attempt 2 - Fortress Dustfurnace (year 1 done)  (Read 4842 times)

FireSight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was going to restart it anyways, was just trying to find a better spot to start in.

And since the IRC people appear to be failing me, I guess I will open up the game to others. Every time I hand the game off to someone, they vanish on me -_-

So who wants it for year 2?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile

*steps up, waving from the back row*
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile

And since the IRC people appear to be failing me, I guess I will open up the game to others. Every time I hand the game off to someone, they vanish on me -_-

So who wants it for year 2?

Oh hi!  ;D
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

FireSight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I sent a link to the architect via PM, but I don't know if he actually received it...

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki

I'm still waiting for year 3! :V
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha just got it today. Been looking over the fort, and I'd like to say in as non-offensive a way as possible that this is the strangest build I've ever seen. Your well selection is pretty obvious, and I'm reading up on the mods to be sure I understand whats up before I make a move. The rest looks a little unusual.

Are there some specific goals you'd like to put forward?
The sigs topic:

FireSight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tend to design for functional rather than for cool looking, especially in Legendary Lands, where you have to dig in, and dig in FAST, because you have a 90% chance of being found by something too big for you to handle without champion dwarves, which just wanders onto the map.

So, if you think you could make it look better, go for it.

(oh, and there is a magma pool about 1/3 of the way from the top, and halfway across, on the level below the fortress, one of the mining paths I set up will have the dwarves find it, so you can set up metal production)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool. I understand your preference for "functional before cool", but I didn't quite follow your logic in placement. Finished Goods pile quite far from the current workshops and depot, for example. Made me wonder if you intended to have the shops set up there. Also, the lack of a drawbridge entrance on a map with plenty of stone for mechanisms surprised me. But I will work on security, and get things established in the most efficient way I can. Will snoop around at the layers to find some iron (should be some SOMEWHERE in all this rhyolite), and if we get some less-useful immigrants (lyemakers and such) I will assign a reasonable number to training. Just basic stuff, no big projects until we are settled in well and things are running smoothly.

Looks like you already traded for some steel armor; it's nice how the dwarven caravan tends to bring it by. Alright, should have something to show by tonight.
The sigs topic:

Beefree

• Bay Watcher
  • [FURRY]
    • View Profile

Are spots still available? I've never taken part in a succession before, would be awesome if I could take a crack at Year 4
Dwarven immaterialism: If a burning dwarf falls in a fortress, and everyone is On Break, is there smoke?

FireSight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool. I understand your preference for "functional before cool", but I didn't quite follow your logic in placement. Finished Goods pile quite far from the current workshops and depot, for example. Made me wonder if you intended to have the shops set up there. Also, the lack of a drawbridge entrance on a map with plenty of stone for mechanisms surprised me. But I will work on security, and get things established in the most efficient way I can. Will snoop around at the layers to find some iron (should be some SOMEWHERE in all this rhyolite), and if we get some less-useful immigrants (lyemakers and such) I will assign a reasonable number to training. Just basic stuff, no big projects until we are settled in well and things are running smoothly.

Looks like you already traded for some steel armor; it's nice how the dwarven caravan tends to bring it by. Alright, should have something to show by tonight.

Most of the steel armor was stolen from one of the 2 elven caravans that comes by. Just keep looting everything they bring.

The finished goods pile is inside the Treasure vault that I built to keep all the damned thieves from stealing my stuff.

Also, there is lots of hematite on the map, just look for exposed spots on the hillsides.

FireSight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How goes progress on year 2?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's in early summer, since I did a season last night. It's now at the top of my DF games list; the problem has been schoolwork.

To update: put the depot inside a z-level down, and walled up the old entrance. The entrance is now through a 3-wide ramp with a retractable covering it, so we have both an impenetrable defense and a nice caravan entrance. Also, the main entrance is through the barracks now, so that the stockpiles, farms etc don't need to be in the most remote end of nowhere. Just cleaning up on efficiency, will leave the big projects for the new ruler.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 [2]