Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make all nobles desirable!  (Read 749 times)

Shujaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make all nobles desirable!
« on: July 08, 2007, 09:24:00 am »

At the moment only certain nobles provide a tangible benefit, while some are just a burden on the fortress. I propose some new abilities and benefits of putting up with them.

Also they should not confer their benefits until their requirements are met (rooms and such).

The House Ber (Berite) representative (Active farming) - should add a new display on status screen, showing estimated fortress food and drink needed per year. And/or show a detailed breakdown of all foods stockpiled in the Kitchen menu (including prepared meals, fat etc).

The House Fer (Ferite) representative. (Active animal-related work) - speeds up all Animal Training tasks.

The House Råsh (Råshid) representative. (Have many dead dwarves) - reduces all mourning unhappiness by a certain duration/amount.

Guild representatives - tasks of that guild performed gain dwarves 50% extra experience, up to a certain level of skill (not all the way to Legendary, perhaps up to Accomplished level.

Order of the (weapon) Representative (forge 50 of that weapon) - soldiers of that martial school gain 50% extra experience per combat/sparring action, up to a certain level of skill (Accomplished).

There are some more end-game nobles such as Count/Duke/Advisor etc, can't think of any specific benefits that would make sense for them in this version. Perhaps the upcoming features will open up new possibilities (like the army stuff).

[ July 08, 2007: Message edited by: Shujaa ]

[ July 08, 2007: Message edited by: Shujaa ]

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: How to make all nobles desirable!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 11:32:00 am »

i did a post like this in massive detail some time ago.
http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000997
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 01:03:00 pm »

The count and duke and king and such are already planned to be used in the army arc.

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Shujaa:
<STRONG>The House Råsh (Råshid) representative. (Have many dead dwarves)</STRONG>

I had no idea there was a noble like this. It sounds pretty awesome.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

House ferite could also make it so that you get more meat from Dead Animals... just an idea.

Other than that I think it sounds pretty cool.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

House Rash requires more than a lot of dead dwarves.  I'm pretty sure it also requires catacombs (lots of dwarves buried properly).

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »

I think it would be better if nobles enabled new 'features' and thus build on gameplay rather then give bonuses to tasks.

The House Ber suggestion is a good example of what I would prefer.

House Ber could enable the training of wardogs or domestication of animals.

Rash could provide a 'book of the dead' giving you a detailed overview of your dead dwarves. Perhaps they could also stop reanimation of your dead (should that ever happen again).

Anyway those are just examples off the top of my head.

You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

Shujaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 02:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dryn:
<STRONG>I think it would be better if nobles enabled new 'features' and thus build on gameplay rather then give bonuses to tasks.</STRONG>

I agree, I just had a hard time thinking up suitable things! I think wardog training should be kept as the basic training available, and the noble would come and now suddenly you can train any wild animal you can tame. The increased meat from dead animals is also a good idea.

The Order of the Weapon nobles could perhaps allow you to execute a "improve weapon" or "temper weapon" task on that type at your forge, which would either increase the quality of the weapon by one stage, or make it a "tempered material weapon", giving it a higher quality and damage modifier.

Alternatively they could give you much better control over who is wielding what weapon of that type, down to telling a dwarf to drop his rusty copper longsword and go pick up a shiny new steel longsword.

Either way, I just want them to do something other than sit and look pretty after you give them their nicely furnished rooms. It could just make commoner dwarves have a happy thought to see them around, that would be fine with me.

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 04:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Shujaa:
<STRONG>...I just want them to do something other than sit and look pretty...</STRONG>

And throw mandates left and right  :(

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 08:05:00 am »

I am Hellzon, and I approve of anything that makes the nobles useful. Though I agree with Dryn that they should enable options (really liked the "book of the dead") rather than give flat bonuses to stuff.

Scribble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 04:03:00 am »

As said, the idea of 'bonuses' is not ideal.

As far as options go, here are a few Ideas (sorry if others have suggested them previously)...

Order of the... X Nobles:   Provide a % chance that each new military dwarf of their type is a  weapon lord.

Craft representatives Once attained new imigrants of that skill type may/will have a higher rating in one of their skills.

House Rash: Book of the dead sounds like a great idea.

House Fer: Allows placement of cage traps outdoors (or pit traps perhaps?) Allows combat training of all/some animals. (war groundhogs!)

House Ber:  A few new options... Add eat/drink toggles in the Kitchen Menu (ie the ability to stop non-starving dwarves from consuming selected items). Adds new options to the mill and dye shop where you can choose the products milled/dyed.

Treasurer: Allows you to set the value of rooms. Creates a new room/Stockpile 'The Treasury'. Functioning like the trade depo, items placed in the Treasury cannot be claimed by dwarves or nobles and count as double their value for determining fortress wealth.

The treasurer will make demands more akin to the bookeeper than other nobles; ie 'make 'x' amount of wealth.

Mayor: Allows you to set craft wages.

Guildmaster: Lets you prioritize immigration. (i.e. Sent jewlers, macewarves ect)

hmm... rather like the treasurer idea...   :cool: