Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building artificial walls  (Read 540 times)

Kelpo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Building artificial walls
« on: October 31, 2006, 01:52:00 pm »

Am I the only one who finds this annoying?

You've planned your fort just the way you like it, and then find out that right in the middle of a wall you wanted to be there, there's a cluster of gems or a mineral vein sticking out and making the wall look non-uniform. I think there should either be a way to detail walls with minerals in them, or better yet, a way to build completely new artificial walls to replace the ones you had to mine away to get to the gems. The latter option would also allow you to redesign your fort later on if you wanted, and I don't think it would affect gameplay negatively in any significant way.

Of course this might already be possible, I'm not exactly a pro just yet. If it isn't, then don't you think this is a feature that should be added?

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building artificial walls
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 02:05:00 pm »

This is in the devlopment list; it'll be handled eventually.

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 02:32:00 pm »

I just use statues to keep the rooms the right shape if I need to mine through a wall.  They don't stop floods, but work fine for non-flood areas.  If you need to stop floods then you can use floodgates to replace missing sections of walls.  Neither statues nor floodgates help hold up the ceiling though.

I've started leaving stuff in the walls.  Apparently gems and metals in the wall can contribute to the value of the room.  Stuff in the walls only looks funny when you single detail the adjacent walls, if you leave adjacent walls blank or double detail them then they look fine.  So unless you need those particular gems/ore right this second, you can just dig around them.  If you need them for an emergency mandate or something later, you can mine them out then at no penalty.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »

If you use floodgates as a temporary replacement for walls, just realize that trolls and other large creatures will be able to crash through them.

Yeah, they may not hold up the roof, but for a single wall between two 2x2 rooms, it's perfectly fine. That and if a dwarf loves floodgates, ++.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Kelpo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 03:46:00 am »

Got it. Thanks all y'all.