Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Having other races "Join" your fortress. How to mod,  (Read 569 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Having other races "Join" your fortress. How to mod,
« on: October 17, 2009, 06:36:07 pm »

We all know that during sieges it isn't JUST Orcs and Goblins, Occasionally Humans, Elves, and even other Dwarfs will "join up" with the evil mass to attack.. So this go me thinking, what with carvans coming and going,  How could one mod it to let others "Join" your fortress? Could there be a mod to this at start? Maybe add points to have an 8th 9th etc person from a different civ?

Or perhaps theres a way to "Befriend"
 sdomeone as they visit from a caravan? Something under interaction that would let you ask someone to join you?

I only think
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Having other races "Join" your fortress. How to mod,
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 06:45:35 pm »

Unfortunately that's entirely hardcoded.  Some attempts have been made to have a civilization of multiple species, or to play as a civ that kidnaps, but these either cause crashes or simply don't work due to how immigrants are coded.  It is possible, incidentally, to receive a king/queen of another race.  They don't work correctly, though.

A utility could try to change the race of one of your dwarves already in game.  I'm not sure how well that works, or if it even changes anything outside of their racial name.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Grimic

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma cures all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 06:51:23 pm »

Doesn't seem doable with simple mods alone. The source code likely would need to be changed.

I was actually thinking of suggesting a way to make "hotel" rooms from beds, which would allow visitors of any race to stay in your fort if they choose, but I don't think it's all that great a feature anyway.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:39:05 pm »

Hmmm, if theres no way to cod different races to become a part of your fortress, are thereother ways to have them show up and "Hang around"
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?