Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: UK Dragon Age Origins Buyers Getting Shafted...  (Read 2074 times)

Vahan

UK Dragon Age Origins Buyers Getting Shafted...
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:33:36 pm »

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=699744&forum=135&sp=0

UK Dragon Age buyers appears to be getting shafted in lots and lots of ways:

1. UK Collector's Edition doesn't come with a map or tin case, and it is only sold at Game.
2. UK Digital Deluxe Edition doesn't come with the bonus items that're in all the other region's because they're exclusive to Game.
3. It's a large possibility that the Regular Edition buyers are going to get shafted by not getting Blood Dragon armour / The Stone Prisoner DLC. This would make the Collector's Edition the only one worth buying if the gamer's want to get DLC, too. Every other region gets them free.

If you've preordered it, I'd really advise you to post on there about you being pretty pissed off and maybe cancelling your preorder. This is a disgusting, underhanded business move by EA to fuck over UK gamers.

That is all.

Vahan

Re: UK Dragon Age Origins Buyers Getting Shafted...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 03:46:31 am »

No one else is from the UK? o.O

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 03:47:59 am »

You really need to wonder about the rationale behind these kind of moves. It's not like they're selling cars or corn here, with an actual physical product (well, I guess there's an actual physical product, but bear with me here). There's no reason why the UK version can't have any of that stuff.

I do business. Business is my blood and soul. If the devil came to me and asked me to sell my soul, I'd offer to find ten quality souls for him in exchange for a 10% commission on each person's total wish allotment. Yet I cannot figure why, game companies especially, enjoy doing dick moves like these. Do they still think we're in an age where people don't realize they're getting shafted or that people in the UK are not aware of the stuff US gamers get?

Vahan

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 04:43:18 am »

You really need to wonder about the rationale behind these kind of moves. It's not like they're selling cars or corn here, with an actual physical product (well, I guess there's an actual physical product, but bear with me here). There's no reason why the UK version can't have any of that stuff.

I do business. Business is my blood and soul. If the devil came to me and asked me to sell my soul, I'd offer to find ten quality souls for him in exchange for a 10% commission on each person's total wish allotment. Yet I cannot figure why, game companies especially, enjoy doing dick moves like these. Do they still think we're in an age where people don't realize they're getting shafted or that people in the UK are not aware of the stuff US gamers get?

I think that they realise that the majority of gamers won't work it out / give a shit, and will buy the product from GAME nonetheless. GAME's market share in the gaming economy is beginning to get RIDICULOUS.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 06:46:42 am »

The majority of gamers do give a shit, though, but they just sigh then pirate the game, in retaliation for this crap.

Which, of course, won't be mentioned when they bitch about how high piracy for the game is.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 06:47:40 pm »

I'd say they realise that more then anything, but they probably had some nasty small text in the contract (or as someone sugested in the linked thread: EA snuck in some small lines) that now forces them to basicly be GAME's puppy to kick. In short, GAME's doing all the dirty work and Bioware's getting all the negative publicity and can't opt out without losing several millions in lawsuits.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 06:49:25 pm by Virex »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 07:02:34 pm »

Huh. I thought EA hadn't reached their fuckover quota.

I have to admit even though it sounds like a stupid conspiracy theory, that sometimes it seems like EA deliberately makes games bad to prevent it from cutting in on profits for other EA games, or causing the casual gamers to expect better from their games.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 09:08:24 am »

It was all a big misunderstanding apparently and you UK guys will get your free goodies just as everyone else

http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=699744&forum=135&sp=315

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 10:02:57 am »

The majority of gamers do give a shit, though, but they just sigh then pirate the game, in retaliation for this crap.

Yeah, like not having a map, a tin, and some lame DLC clearly justifies copyright infringement.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 02:08:31 pm »

Did I say it did?

You just need to look at most forums to see that when little things like this happen, people take it way too personally, and refuse to pay for the game.

And, heh, misunderstanding my arse.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 03:10:01 pm »

Gamers are a picky bunch,Whatever comes out has to be picked on. If it's not then Childern play it.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 12:14:51 am »

Gamers are a picky bunch,Whatever comes out has to be picked on. If it's not then Childern play it.

I think Fickle would be a better term.  The majority of gamers will buy pretty much anything if it's hyped well enough.  "Picky" sort of implies some form of reasoning.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 12:26:11 pm »

Which, of course, won't be mentioned when they bitch about how high piracy for the game is.

Trying to rationalize piracy is worse than just pirating it.  Yarr harr harr and fiddle-dee-dee.  Do what you want for a pirate is free, you are a pirate, don't deny it, don't justify it, you are a pirate.
Shoes...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 01:09:09 pm »

Eh, there are rational reasons to pirate- a game is hard to acquire except from price gougers on ebay, piracy comes with improved features/removed bullshit, and so on. Maybe genuinely rational in this case would be to buy the game and pirate the features you were 'supposed' to get.

Of course, you can always just not play the game. So at the very least there's never really a good excuse for pirating a game at launch. You might consider the above motivation rather than justification... but whatever.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei