Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another world seeds thread  (Read 1699 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Yet another world seeds thread
« on: October 05, 2009, 09:40:54 pm »

Because hey, why not? Mainly though I just wanted to share this site I generated with the Dig Deeper mod:

That's all of the mountain features in one 5x3 embark rectangle, 37 z-levels. From the chasm alone I have 155 creatures; who knows how much the river, pool, pit, pipe, and HFS are adding. I'm getting less than 50FPS just with the starting seven. That combined with the lack of sand is driving me off (there's no sedementary rock either, though since you can mine the orcs for all the steel you'll ever need, that hardly matters).

Incidentally, the mapgen parameters there are designed to make lots of very small mountain ranges. Handy if you want to get multiple mountain features into a small space.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Barrel Roll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another world seeds thread
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:04:10 am »

looks awesome but I needs my magma...and sand.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:53:35 pm »

Oh, there's magma, on the right side in the middle. No sand, though.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:25:04 am »

Using your params, but letting the game pick the seed, I generated this spot.  Anyone want the seed?  I'll go looking for it.

3x5, underground river, underground pond, magma pool, pit, chasm, brook, sand.  Terrifying, Haunted, Calm biomes.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:14:29 am »

Same world, same seed.

3x5, Adamantite, magma vent, brook, underground pond, chasm, sand, terrifying/calm/calm biomes.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 08:02:19 pm »

This is now my favorite set of world gen params.

In the picture, it's a 4x5 starting area.  Magma pipe, Chasm, Bottomless Pit, Underground River, Sand, Flux, brook, HFS, Adamantite, Sinister biomes.  The starting unit list is chock full of baddies...about 5-6 pages worth.

You could probably drop it to 3x4 and sacrifice the bottomless pit and brook.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 12:32:04 am »

I'm new to world genning, is there any way to change the params for more z-levels? I'm trying the monolith challenge and need at least 37 or 28 levels and if that's aboveground it would be awesome (I got that once, on a volcano side, but no steel/glass possibilities  :-\ ) 'Course, I'll need a river and magma pipe too but I've found that's not too uncommon in the course of random genning.
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 10:20:13 am »

To get more z-levels, increase the elevation variance parameters. These change how rapidly the terrain goes from one elevation to another. Then turn off erosion, which tends to even elevations out. And of course, you need a decent elevation range to work with; 100-400 should work fine.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 03:02:24 pm »

Thanks, I'll try that.Will that mess with rivers/pipes and such?
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 04:25:34 pm »

Rivers spawn from mountains, so you shouldn't have any problems there. They might end up a bit shorter if you have lots and lots of mountains, but that's all I can think of that could be troublesome there.

I'm not aware of any settings that interfere with magma pipes aside from volcanism and volcanoes.

Scope

• Bay Watcher
  • tophats, oh tophats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 06:59:58 pm »

This is now my favorite set of world gen params.

http://dkpfiles.com/themacabre/files/hasall3.JPG

In the picture, it's a 4x5 starting area.  Magma pipe, Chasm, Bottomless Pit, Underground River, Sand, Flux, brook, HFS, Adamantite, Sinister biomes.  The starting unit list is chock full of baddies...about 5-6 pages worth.

You could probably drop it to 3x4 and sacrifice the bottomless pit and brook.

world gen params?

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 06:22:43 pm »

So, I've been messing with your worldgen params, and, I keep having a problem.

Elf-less worlds. I know I know, dwarf heaven, right?

But, the pansies bring more wood than I can log off a reasonably-sized mountain-feature-heavy map in a year, and they are mighty convenient when they bring Giant Desert Scorpions. Also, they make a nice enemy when I get in the mood to anger people.

What's the "trick" to making places for elves to start? There seem to be plenty of forests, but they don't wanna settle in em. o _ o
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 08:27:53 pm »

Honestly, I have no idea. I'd noticed it as well, but couldn't be bothered to figure it out since I don't generally need that much wood and the only other thing they have that I want is sunberries, which are rare even when elves do survive mapgen.

You could try checking the legends to see what's killing your elves. For some reason my copy of DF hangs (or otherwise just takes longer than I'm willing to wait) when I try to pull up legends mode, though.

Anyone else know what it takes to get elves?

Teeto_K

• Bay Watcher
  • Deforesting Woodland Biomes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 04:38:45 pm »

Oddly enough, in worldgen, there aren't any Elven civilizations even listed. I've tried blindly futzing, but to no avail. It's a shame, because your parameters seem prime for generating interesting sites.
Refar Wrote:
They have not mastered the art of safe fishing, safe drinking of booze, safe [you name it]... Why would someone think they mastered safe sex?

How I dorf:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3901-thecitadelofartifice

SenorOcho

• Bay Watcher
  • Strategy Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 01:05:20 am »

The 'civilized' races won't ever spawn in evil biomes.  Is that causing the problem?