Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to show underground features on embark map?  (Read 773 times)

Fisherdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to show underground features on embark map?
« on: October 17, 2009, 11:18:47 am »

I have seen local embark maps with underground features like underground rivers/magma/extra content showing. How can you show these? I want to make things like a tower cap farm but I can never find an underground river even if my site has one somewhere.

EDIT: I completely forgot to ask my other question and don't want to make another topic. How do people send saves to other people to do succession games? I really dont know.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 11:22:02 am by Fisherdwarf »

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to show underground features on embark map?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 11:41:25 am »

You can show underground features by genning a map with parameters and turning them on or going into the init and simply setting them to always be on.

You can transfer save files by going into the data/saves folder and pulling out the relevant world data.  You can also backup (save scum) by going for these same files.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 11:43:41 am »

There are settings in the file data/init/init.txt that control whether map features are visible in the region screen. Set all of them to ALWAYS if you want to see them, or to FINDER if you just want to be able to use the site finder to look for them.

Your savefiles are in data/save. Assuming you have autobackups turned on (turn autobackups on! It's another setting in init.txt), you should have several files named like "region1", "region1-spr-201", "region1-sum-201", etc. The one without a year or season on it is your "current" save; all the others are backups. If you want to use a backup, you should remove your current save and then copy the backup into place (if you just open region1-spr-201 and start playing it, then future backups will be named region1-spr-201-sum-201 and so on; it just gets confusing). Anyway, just grab the appropriate savefile, compress it, and put it up online somewhere for people to download.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Fisherdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 11:46:28 am »

Thanks for helping me! Im going to go change that stuff now.

Fisherdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 11:50:14 am »

It worked! This makes finding a site 100 times easier. Thanks so much!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:11:53 pm »

Full details in wiki, "init.txt".  More info and options than most ever use.