Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: small waterfall and canyone site  (Read 695 times)

elthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Photo[gallery]
small waterfall and canyone site
« on: October 16, 2009, 02:51:46 pm »

(i'm new to this forum but i played DF for some time now and wanted, like, to became a part of this community, so hello everyone! :) /end of "hello world!" part/)

okay, this map is quite old and genned even not by me, but i was playing with it trying to find a waterfall that its author was talking about, and found a location i thinks is worth checking out.

it has 4 rivers meeting closely, and one of these rivers is dropping 9-z levels down! the waterfall does not drops right from the top level, it first drops 1 lvl per 1 tile for a few tiles and then fall down entirely.
there are two "T"-shaped connections between the rivers creating two triangled lakes and one of the rivers turns to form a shape almost like a "C" letter put on its back, and everything of these are forming a canyon at least 9z lvls high.

on the other hand, there's nothing interesting like chasms or magma. unfortunately, the place doesn't even has a sand :(
but i found lots of bituminous coal instead, it also has a lot of magnetite and different gem clusters all over the place. also, hematite, cobaltite, tetrahedrite, gold, silver veins, i spotted even a small cluster of platinum somewhere. there are plenty of trees around.
it also has an aquifer on a few layers, so if you don't mind an absence of glass it can support some interesting structures, i guess, like some -- i just thought of that -- an artificial aquaeducts to run waterfalls around your pyramid-shaped fortress placed above a lake, or something weird like that.

screenshots from visual fortress
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
embark screen

the map can be found here, and the credit belongs to Deathworks

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
Re: small waterfall and canyone site
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:59:51 pm »

Migrants have arrived! ;D
Well, don't pull the lever assigned to you, trust me :)
The map looks quite nice in Visual Fortress.. I might try and gen it.
Thanks! ;)
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.