Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opening world file?  (Read 972 times)

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Opening world file?
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:32:38 pm »

I want to retrieve the seeds from a worldgen.  I tried to open "world.dat" from the folder of the world I wanted, but opening it with TextEdit gave me a load of garbled characters.  How can I look at the content of .dat files?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Opening world file?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:42:47 pm »

To get the seed from a worldgen, start the game, press ESC, and go to "Export local image." Exporting an image should also create a handy text file for you that includes the worldgen information used for that world, including the seed.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 07:50:24 pm »

The "Export Local Image" in the ESC menu turns red when I move the cursor to it.  When I press Enter, nothing happens.  Is this a problem?  I am using 40d on Mac OS 10.4.

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 09:09:04 pm »

You have to start a fort. That's what he meant by start game.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 09:13:16 pm »

Well, that's annoying (I'm mostly an Adventure Mode player at the moment).  Thanks for the help though.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »

If you go into legends mode then there is the option to 'export map and general info' at the bottom of the screen. This should then create a map and some text files that include the seed and other world info in your dwarf fortress folder.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 04:05:11 pm »

Yeah.  You export the world data from fortress mode or legends mode.  You can take breaks from adventure mode, so that shouldn't be a problem (unless you're the enemy of every civ due to rampage.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember