Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Ingenuity  (Read 692 times)

jjdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Ingenuity
« on: October 16, 2009, 11:52:39 pm »

Okay... so I just had some fun with my first 3 squad Orc siege... and my peons... er, civilians danced around trying to recover the bodies of my slaughtered marksdwarves while being scared off by the orcs outside the fortifications.  (Elite orc snipers are truly elite... one shot straight through my fortifications from much further away and with deadly accuracy)  I subsequently annihilated said siege with a few choice flips of the drawbridge lever and an entrance hallway of weapon, cage, and stone-fall traps.  Perhaps one squad worth of orcs ended up in my moat, which I then decided to fill with magma.  Quite amusing.

So my next concept is "Shutters".  I am planning on building bridges to cover fortifications, each site with its own civilian accessible lever.  When the bridges go up, civilians can get to work, not only in safety, but also without being scared off by the mean ol' orcs.

Any other ideas like this out there?
Quote from: ledgekindred
I can see menacing spikes of iron, but only a true dorf can make menacing spikes of dog leather or pig tail cloth!  What if they suddenly start decorating all their artifacts with like ... like ... butterflies or something.
Quote from: Heavenfall
One of my artifacts had a butterfly on it.
Oh.  Oh.  Oh Armok I'm so sorry.

Tirin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Ingenuity
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:27:17 am »

The courtyard area of your fort, where the battles take place, is actually a pit, covered by drawbridges, linked to two levers. Directly under it is your processing area. Craftdwarf workshops and a bones stockpile, a few smelters and a stockpile set to accept armour and weapons. When a fight ends, simply pull the lever to drop all the casualties directly into their new home. And you can retrieve wounded as well by only pulling the lever linked to the bridges on your side of the fortifications, a 1 level fall should only stun and not further wound.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 12:51:07 am »

The courtyard area of your fort, where the battles take place, is actually a pit, covered by drawbridges, linked to two levers. Directly under it is your processing area. Craftdwarf workshops and a bones stockpile, a few smelters and a stockpile set to accept armour and weapons. When a fight ends, simply pull the lever to drop all the casualties directly into their new home. And you can retrieve wounded as well by only pulling the lever linked to the bridges on your side of the fortifications, a 1 level fall should only stun and not further wound.

That's genius... I will have to try this.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 12:55:11 am »

that is the most brilliant thing ive ever heard