Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do make a Champion use a artifact adamantine Shield?  (Read 1107 times)

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
  • he needs the golden gauntlets to pimp slap whit
    • View Profile
How do make a Champion use a artifact adamantine Shield?
« on: October 14, 2009, 06:57:43 pm »

since he already is using a Steel shield how do i make him use a Artifact shield?
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: How do make a Champion use a artifact adamantine Shield?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 07:07:44 pm »

First, make him drop his shield(Either by forbidding it, or setting him to not wield a shield so he drops it), then either forbid every shield besides the one you want, hope you get lucky, etc.

Starvation

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FROG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:12:34 pm »

Go next to him, press "v" and hover it over him. Then press "i" for inventory and scroll down using 8 and 2 on the numpad. Then go to his shield, press enter, then "d" so it will be dumped. (Make sure you have a dumping site available, using "i" for zones.) Then go to your armor stockpile, press "d" then "b" then "f" and select every shield you do NOT want him picking up. Then after all of that he should pick up the shield. (Make sure you have him equiped to get a shield by pressing "m" then "w") then after he picks it up press "d" then "b" then "c" and unforbid all of the shields you forbade.
And HUZZAH, he should be good to go.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:14:56 pm by Starvation »
[CREATURE:ELF]

[NOPAIN]
   [BLOODTYPE:B]
   [FIREBREATH]
   [DAMBLOCK:-30]

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 08:56:30 pm »

How much is the thing worth?
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 09:08:36 pm »

Make sure you have a dumping site available, using "i" for zones.

More importantly, make sure you've disabled all of your other garbage dump zones, especially the ones next to the magma pipe or chasm.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:05:41 am »

Just dump all of your other shields.

btw, you can't dump artifacts

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:45:58 am »

Off-topic

Starvation that frog is AWESOME

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 02:06:54 am »

Personally I would just set up an armor pile that only accepts artifact quality items in a small room with a door.   Then I would station the target dwarf in the room and lock the door.  After that I would go into the equipment screen under the the military screen and and turn off shields for that dwarf.  As soon as he drops it forbid the non-artifact and turn shields back on.  Then once he has his new shield, unlock the door and unforbid the other shield so your haulers can drag it off.

This is my basic approach to equipping my champs with better gear.  I find it to be less of a bother than going through the stocks screens and the like.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Drug_unit

• Bay Watcher
  • he needs the golden gauntlets to pimp slap whit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 05:25:21 am »

Well i found my own way.Telling him do not use any shields then wait for a minute until he drops it then tell him do use the shield again in the weapons screen and there you go.

Oh and here is the info abaut the shield if anyone wants
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 08:05:47 am by Drug_unit »
Dwarven statistics: When something is considered unlikely, the presence of dwarves increases the likelyhood of the unusual event occuring.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Besides, it's somehow enjoyable to think of groundhogs stacked to the very top of a cage and flooding out to kill.

Starvation

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FROG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 07:37:07 am »

Off-topic

Starvation that frog is AWESOME

Oh, thanks! :D
[CREATURE:ELF]

[NOPAIN]
   [BLOODTYPE:B]
   [FIREBREATH]
   [DAMBLOCK:-30]

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 08:01:06 am »

Holy crap, the shield is worth 1.6 Million ALONE!

I'm envious. All my kobolds have made is a wooden statue worth about 4500.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 12:42:51 pm »

You're lucky. So far the only cool artifact I've gotten was a coffer. Valuable enough, I'm saving it for my baron.

Strike that, I got a bone helm (I keep getting craft moods, but it always hits my crafters oddly enough, so no complaints). The only really cool things my moods have gotten me is legendary craftsdwarves - I'm swimming in masterwork leather armor and bone bolts.

Edit: Just got an artifact shell chain. On the bright side, this brings me up to 3 legendary bone carvers, which I use heavily with the steady flow of orc and goblin corpses.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:48:07 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325