Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gorwing things other than plump helmets  (Read 674 times)

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
Gorwing things other than plump helmets
« on: October 16, 2009, 11:58:03 am »

I'm truing to figure out how to get my farmers to grow something other than plump helmets. I looked at the wiki to see what terrain I need to grow something (subterranien or above ground). And at what season as well.

Ive been setting it at the right time and setting but my farmers will never plant them. Ever. I always select them but they're never planted

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Gorwing things other than plump helmets
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:00:53 pm »

Do you have the seeds?  I think the standard embark only gives you plump helmet spawn, so you may need to use a custom embark to get seeds for other plants.  Or, buy them from a caravan.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 03:51:57 pm »

You can quickly check for seeds by going to the (z) menu and the kitchen tab.  Scroll down until you find plump helmet seeds (you probably have 200 of them).  See if you have any other kinds of seeds directly above or below there.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 05:33:02 pm »

Here's a handy dandy possible error list!!!
(1) Find if you have soil.
(2) build farm plot on soil
(3) Verify whether it's subterranean or above ground
(4) Make sure you have seeds for a plant that is available to underground or above ground.(depending on step 3)
(5)Make sure the letters aren't reddened (ex. = Rope Reed)
(6)Make sure you have an idle person (ex. = Human, Dwarf, Elf, ect.) and put the job "Farming (fields)" as white. (ex. = Farming (fields))
(7)Be sure they are marked as "no job"
(8)Create or verify a path from the person with the farming (fields) job and the farming plot.
(9)Be sure the person does not have any vital health conditions (ex. = Unconscious, winded, or any body parts colored red (ex. in the ex. = Lungs))
(10)Be sure the person has access to the seeds
(11) (this goes along with 9) Moods can also effect actions. (ex. Possessed, Fey, ect.)
(12) see the person is alive
(13) if it is outside press "o" and see if peoples are allowed outside.
(14) See that the person with the job is not a soldier, guard, or royal guard.
(15) Check if the plant can be planted. (some plants are harvestable only)

If it still doesn't work, Give it a few minutes... After that, try giving the "farming (fields)" job to another dwarf. If it still doesn't work, try to remember if you've done any modding lately, you may have accidentally changed something vital in the txt. If it STILL doesn't work, I have no idea what to do.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:50:45 pm »

If it doesnt work after that list, then apply magma. Seriously. It's the only way to be sure.