Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better pressure plate  (Read 760 times)

Munchkin9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Better pressure plate
« on: July 06, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »

I was just thinking it would be nice if you could make it so that for a pressure plate to work when it is stepped on a lever must first be pulled. This would give the ability to "activate defenses" for a hard core player who has the settings on traps hurt friendly.

Just a thought.

he Short guy
The so short guy
He just might be a...
D W A R F

Tubal_Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Better pressure plate
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 09:20:00 am »

In addition to this, I think pressure plates would be greatly improved if you could specify their size, instead of just making them one square wide. Have 2x3 or 3x3 or whatever size you want ( with a maximum size at some point). That would be great.

Munchkin9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 01:07:00 pm »

Ya you are right that would be very nice and helpful to block bigger hallways.
he Short guy
The so short guy
He just might be a...
D W A R F

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 01:24:00 pm »

Also we need a pressure plate that registers the removal of an item.  For example you build the pressure plate then build a statue on top of it.  When the statue is toppled a smashy bridge drops on the evil troll.  Basically it would be nice to be able to build things onto other things.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

Not being able to build pressure plates under drawbridges is by design.  It would ruin the challenge by making a perfect infinite-damage trap.

Plus, you probably wouldn't want to, in case your buff axedwarf was chasing a goblin down a bridge-trapped hallway.  Oops!

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 11:11:00 pm »

Dumb dwarfs are actually allowed to die in my fortresses.  I feel it is perfectly appropiate to dump large amounts of chlorine into the gene pool.  In fact the really dumb ones are about the only ones I let die.

You know having a perfect outer side defense is quite easy.  Don't rush to the river, make a 300 tile snake as your sole entrance.  Then over a few years trap and retrap it until it is entirely done out in masterpiece mechanism with 7 steel spear each.  I am pretty certain that even a 150 goblins would have a tough time getting past 30 such traps.

Ultimately I would like to see the ability to death trap your fortress to a point where nothing is truly safe.  The dwarves that build the traps included.  No one can ever remember all the trigger points, and nothing should be totally trap immune.  I think Toady has a similar opinion and the new designations for pathing are a prelude to making dwarves mistep into thier own traps.

Give me more ways to make my traps deadly, and then charge me with the price of having my dwarves caught in those same traps.

"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.