Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lectures, school, and apprenticeships.  (Read 1792 times)

I3erent

• Bay Watcher
  • The mounted dwarf has gone bErZeRk
    • View Profile
Lectures, school, and apprenticeships.
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:38:00 pm »

It was mentioned that the philosopher should give lectures.  I submit for your approval that any legendary dwarf could give a talk or lecture on his profession, children could become enamored with the stories of such legendary dwarfs and decide early on in life what they want to be when they grow up.
Also perhaps a teaching skill, where a dwarf would teach based on his other skills and his proficiency in them, this would give the little guys school to attend instead of watching mom and dad get drunk in the mead hall!
Upon graduation perhaps a dwarf could be assigned an apprentice that would help him do his job ie a metalsmiths apprentice could bring in bars while he works, and the apprentice should learn a little and increase his skills by being an apprentice.

Thoughts?

quot;I got really stoned a couple days ago and ended up talking to THIS GUY. anyway... I''m really drunk now. The guy said: There is this application called "Mya" MI-AH that makes animations of people that he paid $2000 for. F- that Jazz ARMOK ROCKS. FIGHT THE MAN, GO TEAM!

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lectures, school, and apprenticeships.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 01:58:00 pm »

An excellent suggestion.  This is already on the dev page a little bit:

quote:
Passing on Knowledge:  Most entities will have a system (possibly instinctive or informal) of passing on knowledge. Players will have opportunities to study under various masters to hone their skills. The master might also be a source of quests/errands for apprentice players (a wizard's apprentice might be asked to collect spell components, etc.). Soldiers will be trained in various ways - perhaps all children in a town are trained as warriors (the maladjusted wash-outs can go become necromancers and come back for some zombification: meek, creepy children can also go to the local swamp and mix poison). If an entity codifies its foci, culture, and laws, it might reappear later even if all of its members disappear. In general, masters that can write will be able to produce instructional manuals for their skills (unless the nature of the skill makes this nonsensical). The effectiveness of these manuals will depend in part upon the teaching skill of the master, the writing skill of the master, and the reading skill of the student (including basic language skills). A civilization that fails to pass on knowledge will probably return to base savagery in time.

As well as:  

quote:
Bloat252, ENVIRONMENTAL LEARNING, (Future): Some preferences could be gained by children as they play and explore, rather than having them be innate.

This doesn't seem like it needs to be a complex task... perhaps a teaching session could be started when a legendary dwarf is idle, using the same code that exists for parties.  Dwarves who attend the teaching party (children and peasants, maybe) would gain some skill experience from the legendary dwarf during the course of the party - not as good as actually doing the activity, but enough to become a novice eventually.

Also, children with some skill should tag along with adults exercising those skills, and gain experience that way.  So after Junior gets all excited about jewelcrafting from listening to the legendary jeweler talk at the party, he can later be found hanging around the workshops, watching jewelers encrust stuff, and learning.  Perhaps the adult workers would even be annoyed by the constant presence of nagging kids.

This kind of thing would make me much more excited to watch kids grow up, as well as help personalize them.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 05:25:00 pm »

Maybe if it was possible for children to gain knowledge in a skill when they are near a place where that skill is being used. This would mean that when the child becomes an adult then they will have some skill in a certain area.

The thing about it being when the child is in the presence of that work being carried out would also mean that children would be likely to have the same job as one (or both) of their parents. If families were fleshed out you could even end up with the majority of a family having the same job.

Also, I think that most dwarves with a decent level of skill in something should be able to teach it, but that the higher that dwarfs skill is then the more effective their teaching would be.

Oh, another idea... maybe add an intelligence stat to the strength, agility and toughness ones. This intelligence stat could affect both the dwarfs ability to teach and learn.

Started typing and had a few more idea's thasn I thought I would then...   :p

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

All good, though...

Elite Marksdwarf cancels defend fortress: give lecture.

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 08:47:00 pm »

How about when a legendary dwarf goes on break, he just goes out to the dining hall or whatnot and chats with people - perhaps all the little kids gather round to listen to his stories?

This should happen especially with legendary soldiers.  When you get hero status, part of the sparring time is actually spent in the dining hall telling stories - kids go ga-ga over ball players, so why not the stories of a legendary hammer dwarf?

Gives dwarfs happy thoughts to listening to story time while on break, and perhaps gives a temporary boost to the rate they earn xp whatever skills that legendary was proficient in.  Wouldnt want to give xp in some profession theyve never done just from listening to a story, but if having listen to a legendary mason talk, they then go do some masonry, they gain a little more insight from applying those stories to the job theyre doing.

Pollux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 11:28:00 pm »

Perhaps apprentices could perform menial tasks for their teachers - hauling supplies to the workshop, hauling goods to the stockpiles, etc. ?
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 04:02:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Bricktop:
<STRONG>Oh, another idea... maybe add an intelligence stat to the strength, agility and toughness ones. This intelligence stat could affect both the dwarfs ability to teach and learn.</STRONG>

I've suggested an intelligence stat before but was short of current uses for it. -This could be another interesting one.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

Hrm. I can already see people finding ways to chain children into the workshops.  :D

HoD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 11:55:00 am »

I myself wish we could define area into pubs, schools, etc.

Always wanted to build myself a dwarven bar.

hat?