Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sandbox Mode  (Read 1327 times)

PTTG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.2funnyguys.com
Sandbox Mode
« on: July 06, 2007, 01:39:00 am »

Some of what I've seen in the development section - for instance, being able to turn off economy and many other suggestions to make gameplay simpler suggests adding a Sandbox Mode feature could be a good idea. This could be a lot of small changes in this mode, for instance, turning off attacks, making the dwarves not need food or sleep, and so on that make the whole game change from a simulator to a construction set. What do you think?
A HREF="http://www.2funnyguys.com">www.2funnyguys.com

,".,''.,,''..,'',.'',,.''
.'',G''(Im in ur fotrez)
''.,.,(steln ur babyz:0)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sandbox Mode
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:12:00 pm »

i thought it was a giant sandbox constructionset already. the event type features you want to disable would make it kinda dull IMO, but i guess it couldnt hurt.  probably not hard to add, feature-wise.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 01:35:00 pm »

It's already pretty sandbox-y as it is, but as far as I'm concerned you can never have too many options. If someone wants to turn off sieges (or elephants!) or make it impossible to toodeep then it'd be nice if they were able to.

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 05:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG:
<STRONG>...making the dwarves not need food or sleep...</STRONG>

I think this is actually already possible by adding tags in the raws.

Spelguru

• Bay Watcher
  • Rabid Swedish Person
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 07:02:00 am »

The food and sleep thing cannot be removed. For fortress mode atleast. For adventurer mode it's possible though.

Sieges... not sure, maybe if you remove "babysnatcher" from the goblin entities list, although that might mess the game up at world gen. The elephant section you can just delete entirely from the creature raw files. Should be safe...ish.

Got Ninja?
Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz, Orkz Orkz Orkz Orkz... WAAAAAGH!
NHP (Non human pact. Copy and paste if you are going to destroy all human-like creatures in spore.)

John

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 09:35:00 pm »

The sandbox mode you talk about can more or less be achieved by editing the creature_standard.txt file.  If you add [ALL_AWAKE] under the dwarf heading, sleep becomes unnecessary; adding [SPEED:1] under the dwarf heading makes the dwarves move incredibly fast, which means that production in general; is never an issue (this extends to food production).

You can also add tags that make dwarves more or less immune to any and all attacks (including fire), fly, etc.  It isn't all that much fun though, once you get to the point where you've basically got superdwarves.

[ July 08, 2007: Message edited by: John ]

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:19:00 pm »

I think its [ALL_ACTIVE] actually.

quote:
Originally posted by John:
<STRONG>It isn't all that much fun though, once you get to the point where you've basically got superdwarves.</STRONG>

Actually, theres entirely different views on whats fun in DF. For some people, fighting off seiges and critters and managing a fortress through hardships is what makes the game fun. For others, what makes the game fun is building and shaping the mountain and world to your will. As far as I've seen, the former tend to be purists, the latter tend to be cheaters and/or modders. Really, a game is meant to be fun, so play it in whatever way is the most fun to you. I personally prefer messing with the world but I also understand how many would prefer traditional gameplay.

If you really wat sandbox mode, mod dwarves to be impervious to everything, slap on a [FLIER], [FIREIMMUNE_SUPER], and [AMPHIBIOUS] tags for good measure too, then look up Cheating on the DF wiki, learn how to memory edit and learn how to use the utilities, but take care to backup your saves since messing with the game in ways its not supposed to be messed with can break things.

As far as turning off the attacks, magma will solve almost any problem with uninvited guests.

[ July 08, 2007: Message edited by: AlanL ]

PTTG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.2funnyguys.com
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

Ha ha ha ha! You have not lived until you have seen... ROCKET DWARVES! Seriously, thanks for the info. I copied my whole DF folder, labeled the new one "Evil dwarf fortress" and started messing with the raws. That way I can choose cheat or not cheat!
A HREF="http://www.2funnyguys.com">www.2funnyguys.com

,".,''.,,''..,'',.'',,.''
.'',G''(Im in ur fotrez)
''.,.,(steln ur babyz:0)