Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Writing  (Read 2243 times)

dylguy90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Writing
« on: July 06, 2007, 12:48:00 am »

Engravers could add text to accompany their works of art. Jewelers could engrave words, Prophet noble could have a special workshop where he writes prophecies on tablets, or engraves them on finished goods. Dwarves could even have written laws that could result as a a result of events, such as a dwarf drowning or the philosopher or prophet making a declaration.

There could be dwarven schools for chilren, with a "Teacher" profession that would make dwarves "literate" or "learned". Literate Dwarves could produce more appealing art, or even books, and Learned dwarves could become better at trade skills, or better at combat.

Alternately, dwarves could be either "Educated" or "uneducated", which would affect the rate at which they learn new skills.

PTTG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.2funnyguys.com
Re: Dwarven Writing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

Sounds good to me. One question: Is "reading" a normal skill? Novice, proficient, and Legendary Readers? oh, also: Could the player add text too? A lot of suggestions are for being able to put graffiti in your fortress.
A HREF="http://www.2funnyguys.com">www.2funnyguys.com

,".,''.,,''..,'',.'',,.''
.'',G''(Im in ur fotrez)
''.,.,(steln ur babyz:0)

dylguy90

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 02:11:00 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of "literate" or "not literate". A school could perhaps be like a kennel, but more than one child could be "trained" at once.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 05:28:00 pm »

lol... when you said a school could be like a kennel I just imagined and bunch of dwarf children stuck in cages and being brought to the 'classroom' one by one to trained into War Children...