Superweapons are:

good for morale
good in theory
just good. period.
useless but very cool
cool, but very much useless
all around bad idea
cheap
supperweapons...? Is that the kind of weapons you eat in the evening or something?

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Superweapons: why?! (not)  (Read 3299 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Superweapons: why?! (not)
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2009, 10:38:09 am »

was it Dominus?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2009, 10:39:58 am »

got me thinking that, in Civ, the Space Win option is a super weapon.  Build it, fire it, you win.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2009, 10:59:37 am »

While Sins of a Solar Empire do have super weapons, they are probably one of the weakest (not as weak as in Civilisation).

For example, while the Subspace cannon is powerful enough to strike buildings from another solar system, a team of siege units are just as good and more cost effective.

The super weapons are advantages but not a great advantage.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2009, 02:45:09 pm »

I need to dig out my copy of Supreme Commander and see if I can hijack my dad's computer to run it.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2009, 03:21:49 pm »

Superweapons generally fall into two categories; Not-That-Super and Game Ender.

CnC is a master of the Not-That-Superweapon; their superweapons look really cool, but due to balance reasons (no way to counter them, free to fire) they have to be weak, otherwise victory would just be a click away.

CnC's superweapons can be brutaly effective, but not as an end in themselves. Their main use is to either temporaly disable your opponents energy grid for long enough to take care of most of their defense, take out their baracks and dogs so you can sneak a spy in, grill their mobile air defense so your kirovs can lay wayst to at least a part of their base and other things like that. Superweapons open up a hole in the otherwise nearly inpenatratable defenses of your opponent. They don't win, but they allow you to win.
They're actualy much more like tactical nukes then like ICBMs.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2009, 03:48:44 pm »

You mean Red Alerts, right? That was made under the CnC name...  I just need clarification on this point.

Specifically, Red Alert 2.  Without the expansion, by the sound of it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:39:19 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2009, 05:36:16 pm »

Hmm, yes I was talking about Red Allert. Seems like it just sliped into my mind...

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2009, 05:45:35 pm »

Time to fire up my old CnC tiberium wars and see if I can prove any of you wrong. If I can't, fuck.
Hello Hunam

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2009, 05:57:29 pm »

Well, you could argue that the broderhood of NOD in tiberuim sun has some kind of a midly effective weapon, though it won't realy break anything.

CnC 3 does have damaging (super)weapons though. Scrin mothership for example.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2009, 06:01:08 pm »

CnC3 is the only one I really got a sence of urgency when somone else was building a super weapon. I've found their very good for 'tenderizing' enemy bases. and then rushing in to destroy the bases 'crutial' buildings
Hello Hunam

Bogre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 06:07:08 pm »

Anyone played World at War?

Really good implementation of big weapons there.

You'd hear the nuke sirens...then the screen goes white and you're wondering if its your allies or enemies who launched it...

And since you can always deploy more troops in that game its not an unfair game ender. (Though if you've got the points for nukes you are probably winning.)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 12:28:19 am »

IMO, it's best when there's a bigger contrast. Like starting off playing using worthless peons to having world destroying spells/WMDs.

I'm not really fond of them, though. I like low-level games.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 07:24:50 pm »

I remember in CNC tiberian sun, the ion cannon was terrible. It had a blast radius of about 1 block in each direction and just sucked at killing buildings. Then you had that stupid seeker drone... I never quite understood what the hell that was for. It sent a drone, that could kill ANYTHING, at some infantry... annoying.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:04:41 pm by Nilocy »
Pages: 1 2 [3]